Enable password caching in XP SP2 IE 6.x

I need the ability to save passwords while connecting to internet sites that
require user credentials. The windows pop up has a check box to enable this
but does not save the password. How can I make this work?
6 answers Last reply
More about enable password caching

    For Internet Explorer assistance:

    Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Zart the Artist" wrote:

    | I need the ability to save passwords while connecting to internet sites that
    | require user credentials. The windows pop up has a check box to enable this
    | but does not save the password. How can I make this work?

    Carey
    Does XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies indeed offer a
    fix for this problem?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > For Internet Explorer assistance:
    >
    > Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Zart the Artist" wrote:
    >
    > | I need the ability to save passwords while connecting to internet sites that
    > | require user credentials. The windows pop up has a check box to enable this
    > | but does not save the password. How can I make this work?

    For security reasons, many secure web sites are designed not to
    permit the saving of passwords. It is the design of the web site
    itself, and not IE, that prevents the saving of passwords.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Zart the Artist" wrote:

    | Carey
    | Does XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies indeed offer a
    | fix for this problem?

    Thanks Carey, I understand that but, this is an internal inranet using front
    page 2002 server extensions. I have tried the same authenticating to these
    web sites (IIS 6.0) and using IE 5.5 sp2 as a browser client...and it works.
    I do beleive it is a browser issue. Can you give ma at least some direction
    as to how to resolve this problem

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > For security reasons, many secure web sites are designed not to
    > permit the saving of passwords. It is the design of the web site
    > itself, and not IE, that prevents the saving of passwords.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Zart the Artist" wrote:
    >
    > | Carey
    > | Does XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies indeed offer a
    > | fix for this problem?

  5. Well this may add a wrinkle to the idea that it is not the browser causing the issue. I have two laptops for my work as the Admin. for several servers. One logs in pretty as you please and is able to save to the password list. And so I get rignt in no sweat. My newer machine absolutely refuses to save a password to the password list. The machine that works is IE 7, the dog that wont save to the passwword list is IE8. I pretty much think this puts the idea that it is not the browser to bed.
  6. It is the browser. Firefox can do it.

    Think about it for a second: you type your password into a dialog box. What stops the application from caching it for you? Choice of design.

Internet Explorer Cache Windows XP