COM port changes

Every once in a while, my modem switches from a valid com port to a port not
listed in the hardware profiles. The profiles list only com2 and com3, but
the profile will show the modem using com4 and any attempts to use will
result in an error stating the another program is using the port. Often a
reboot will solve the problem, but sometimes it takes more than one reboot.
What is happening?

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the modem device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Poor Richard" <somebodyt@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:ucOuOP7hFHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Every once in a while, my modem switches from a valid com port to a port not
> listed in the hardware profiles. The profiles list only com2 and com3, but
> the profile will show the modem using com4 and any attempts to use will
> result in an error stating the another program is using the port. Often a
> reboot will solve the problem, but sometimes it takes more than one reboot.
> What is happening?

TRENDING THREADS