Forced restart?!

I just lost 5 and a half hours of work because windows forced a restart. It
first asked me whether I wanted to restart now or later; I chose later.
Apparently, windows knows more about what I need than I do. I run an
application, which runs an atomic absorption spectrophotometer. The program
cannot be interrupted, or all is lost. 5.5 hours. Thanks guys.

Is there a way to stop this? Probably, but I shouldn't have to. I told it
not to restart. That should be it. This is completely unacceptable, and
needs to be fixed immediately. Don't ask me to fix it, I shouldn't have to.
I shouldn't have to do anything because this problem should never have
existed.

Am I upset? You cannot imagine.
2 answers Last reply
More about forced restart

    In news:BDDFAA2A-31B0-4BC8-B8B1-F9FC6F4AD082@microsoft.com,
    Chemboy <Chemboy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I just lost 5 and a half hours of work because windows forced a
    > restart. It first asked me whether I wanted to restart now or later;
    > I chose later. Apparently, windows knows more about what I need than
    > I do. I run an application, which runs an atomic absorption
    > spectrophotometer. The program cannot be interrupted, or all is
    > lost. 5.5 hours. Thanks guys.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop this? Probably, but I shouldn't have to. I
    > told it not to restart. That should be it. This is completely
    > unacceptable, and needs to be fixed immediately. Don't ask me to fix
    > it, I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to do anything because this
    > problem should never have existed.
    >
    > Am I upset? You cannot imagine.

    If you update then the PC will prompt you to restart. I've never seen it
    restart on it's own if you didn't select to restart. Instead it will just
    sit there and bug you over and over again until you do finally restart. If
    you just leave the button alone then it doesn't reboot at all, it just sits
    there waiting for input.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    "Chemboy" <Chemboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just lost 5 and a half hours of work because windows forced a restart.
    >It
    > first asked me whether I wanted to restart now or later; I chose later.
    > Apparently, windows knows more about what I need than I do. I run an
    > application, which runs an atomic absorption spectrophotometer. The
    > program
    > cannot be interrupted, or all is lost. 5.5 hours. Thanks guys.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop this? Probably, but I shouldn't have to. I told
    > it
    > not to restart. That should be it. This is completely unacceptable, and
    > needs to be fixed immediately. Don't ask me to fix it, I shouldn't have
    > to.
    > I shouldn't have to do anything because this problem should never have
    > existed.
    >
    > Am I upset? You cannot imagine.

    So why don't you save your work at strategic points? It's not complicated,
    I've even seen school kids manage to click File Save part way through doing
    something.
    If it was an important then you haven't been sensible, it is at least as
    much your own fault. Now have a rant at your own ability to use a computer,
    then resolve to save strategic restore points in the future before you rant
    at the stupid electricity company, the pet, friend, work colleague or
    relation who bumps the power cable etc etc. And don't forget human error-
    you click the wrong button- it happens too.

Support Microsoft Windows XP