Dell's newest Warranty Scam/Tricks

Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to warranty.
They hide the information. I tried to put together a system online and
whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year warrenty they no
longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms such as: No extended
warranty, Award winning service and support andLimited warranty, serving and
support options. But nowhere does it specify the length of a standard
warranty. The best i could find is, email them for terms. This is horrible!
Its trickery at its worse! I tend to recommend Dell computers to my
customers since compared to the other major companies there support was
better (although far from perfect). Now I'm not sure what to tell people.
This type of low life trickery is something I would expect from the heavy
discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!

Jeff B wrote:

> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to warranty.
> They hide the information. I tried to put together a system online and
> whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year warrenty they no
> longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms such as: No extended
> warranty, Award winning service and support andLimited warranty, serving and
> support options. But nowhere does it specify the length of a standard
> warranty. The best i could find is, email them for terms. This is horrible!
> Its trickery at its worse! I tend to recommend Dell computers to my
> customers since compared to the other major companies there support was
> better (although far from perfect). Now I'm not sure what to tell people.
> This type of low life trickery is something I would expect from the heavy
> discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!

I'm curious...

What division (e.g., Home, Small Business, etc.) and what model?

I'd like to give it a try.

Notan

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message news:42745d9b$1@news1.warwick.net...

> [] But nowhere does it specify the length of a standard warranty. []

Well here are two examples for the 8400:

Home side:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

"The Dimension 8400 comes standard with a 1 Year Limited Warranty,
At-Home Service, and Tech Support"

SB side:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=highlighttab#tabtop

"Comes standard with a 90 Day Limited Warranty, On-Site Service and
Technical Support."

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:Vb2dnWl5te8q_unfRVn-1A@comcast.com...

> SB side:
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=highlighttab#tabtop
>
> "Comes standard with a 90 Day Limited Warranty, On-Site Service and
> Technical Support."

Uh, or maybe not. I just tried customizing an 8400 and 4700, went to the
second page where you select warranty upgrades, and for each system it
says the standard warranty is 1 year. That sounds better :)

In article <42745d9b$1@news1.warwick.net>, JBlank@warwick.net says...

> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to warranty.
> They hide the information. I tried to put together a system online and
> whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year warrenty they no
> longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms such as: No extended

<snippety>

Just a spelling nitpick... That should read "throughout."

With that said... I've been reading this group for only six or so
months, but I find myself amazed by the wide variety of comments made
regarding Dell's warranty service and support. It seems, if I understand
correctly, that it's either "all there" or "all gone."

"You Gets What You Pays For" most definitely seems to apply, so I
suppose I got lucky last year when I bought my Latitude C640 from a Dell
reseller on Ebay. Said reseller takes in systems that come back from
executive lease, refurbs them, and then sells them.

This particular laptop's warranty was fully transferable. I had no
trouble at all doing so, and it had almost a full year of Dell's on-site
"Anything" coverage left on it, including protection against accidental
damage.

I had the opportunity to put this coverage to the test about two
weeks back when I discovered a large crack in the bottom housing (I
still have no idea if I did it, or if I was just slow to notice prior
damage), and that the corners of the display were beginning to go dim (I
suspected the backlight).

Called Dell, a case was opened, and amazingly enough I had a tech
on-site the next day with the right parts. His scheduling was incredibly
flexible, and he was actually willing and ready to swing by my home
after regular hours to get this dealt with.

Just to prove that techs have frustration moments as well, the
replacement LCD panel that Dell sent had its own defect: A single white
line across the top. The tech called Dell himself, and was back two days
later with both another new panel and a motherboard (Dell had sent the
latter in case the second new display didn't work).

Fortunately, changing the LCD panel again worked. All problems
solved, no paperwork (for me), no charge, no pain, no hassle. The tech
did great, Dell did great handling the calls, and I was downright
impressed (and I don't impress easily).

I don't know if this constitutes "award-winning," but I certainly
had no problems.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

BigJim

why do you even reply, what bs/

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
> warranty. They hide the information. I tried to put together a system
> online and whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year
> warrenty they no longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms
> such as: No extended warranty, Award winning service and support
> andLimited warranty, serving and support options. But nowhere does it
> specify the length of a standard warranty. The best i could find is, email
> them for terms. This is horrible! Its trickery at its worse! I tend to
> recommend Dell computers to my customers since compared to the other major
> companies there support was better (although far from perfect). Now I'm
> not sure what to tell people. This type of low life trickery is something
> I would expect from the heavy discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come
> on Dell quit being stupid!

"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
| Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
warranty.
| They hide the information. I tried to put together a system online and
| whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year warrenty they
no
| longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms such as: No
extended
| warranty, Award winning service and support andLimited warranty, serving
and
| support options. But nowhere does it specify the length of a standard
| warranty. The best i could find is, email them for terms. This is
horrible!
| Its trickery at its worse! I tend to recommend Dell computers to my
| customers since compared to the other major companies there support was
| better (although far from perfect). Now I'm not sure what to tell people.
| This type of low life trickery is something I would expect from the heavy
| discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!

I must be missing something.

I went here

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It seems to pretty clearly state "The Dimension 8400 comes standard with a 1
Year Limited Warranty." (cut and paste from the link above)

A little further down on the same page is,
www.dell4me.com/termsandconditions which takes you to;

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=010

I wasn't left with too many questions.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Look at the very small letters on the page where they give the warranty
options. It usually says that there is a won-year warranty. The default
selection is "no extended warranty" meaning you are not getting a warranty
longer than the one-year.

Carol

--
C and A Bredt
"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
> warranty. They hide the information. I tried to put together a system
> online and whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year
> warrenty they no longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms
> such as: No extended warranty, Award winning service and support
> andLimited warranty, serving and support options. But nowhere does it
> specify the length of a standard warranty. The best i could find is, email
> them for terms. This is horrible! Its trickery at its worse! I tend to
> recommend Dell computers to my customers since compared to the other major
> companies there support was better (although far from perfect). Now I'm
> not sure what to tell people. This type of low life trickery is something
> I would expect from the heavy discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come
> on Dell quit being stupid!

The 1 year is extra. The no extended is the default. I believe that is the
old 90 day warranty that they are now trying to hide.

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Look at the very small letters on the page where they give the warranty
> options. It usually says that there is a won-year warranty. The default
> selection is "no extended warranty" meaning you are not getting a warranty
> longer than the one-year.
>
> Carol
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
>> warranty. They hide the information. I tried to put together a system
>> online and whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year
>> warrenty they no longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms
>> such as: No extended warranty, Award winning service and support
>> andLimited warranty, serving and support options. But nowhere does it
>> specify the length of a standard warranty. The best i could find is,
>> email them for terms. This is horrible! Its trickery at its worse! I tend
>> to recommend Dell computers to my customers since compared to the other
>> major companies there support was better (although far from perfect). Now
>> I'm not sure what to tell people. This type of low life trickery is
>> something I would expect from the heavy discounters or Tiger Direct not
>> dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!

Well, well, well! Here comes Noton to the defense of Dell once again. This
was SO predictable. Oh, let me guess, he should have chosen Small Business
to get decent support. Right Noton?
> Jeff B wrote:
>>
>> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
>> warranty.
>> They hide the information. I tried to put together a system online and
>> whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year warrenty they
>> no
>> longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms such as: No
>> extended
>> warranty, Award winning service and support andLimited warranty, serving
>> and
>> support options. But nowhere does it specify the length of a standard
>> warranty. The best i could find is, email them for terms. This is
>> horrible!
>> Its trickery at its worse! I tend to recommend Dell computers to my
>> customers since compared to the other major companies there support was
>> better (although far from perfect). Now I'm not sure what to tell people.
>> This type of low life trickery is something I would expect from the heavy
>> discounters or Tiger Direct not dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!
>
> I'm curious...
>
> What division (e.g., Home, Small Business, etc.) and what model?
>
> I'd like to give it a try.
>
> Notan

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

> The 1 year is extra. The no extended is the default. I believe that is the
> old 90 day warranty that they are now trying to hide.

At the end of the day the onus is on you the BUYER to read any small print
but usually most people myself included just click away merrily and then
when you need to make a claim or the product arrives you get referred to the
small print and find your at fault, So the message is simple, READ THE SMALL
PRINT and then decide if you want the product and stop moaning when its not
what you thought

> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Look at the very small letters on the page where they give the warranty
>> options. It usually says that there is a won-year warranty. The default
>> selection is "no extended warranty" meaning you are not getting a
>> warranty longer than the one-year.
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt
>> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>>> Well it seems Dell is stooping to an all time low with regards to
>>> warranty. They hide the information. I tried to put together a system
>>> online and whereby they used to say if it cam with a 90 day or 1 year
>>> warrenty they no longer do at all. thrughout the process they use terms
>>> such as: No extended warranty, Award winning service and support
>>> andLimited warranty, serving and support options. But nowhere does it
>>> specify the length of a standard warranty. The best i could find is,
>>> email them for terms. This is horrible! Its trickery at its worse! I
>>> tend to recommend Dell computers to my customers since compared to the
>>> other major companies there support was better (although far from
>>> perfect). Now I'm not sure what to tell people. This type of low life
>>> trickery is something I would expect from the heavy discounters or Tiger
>>> Direct not dell. Come on Dell quit being stupid!

If it was in the small print i could except it. But I can't find the 90 day
warranty issue anywhere. All i was able to find is that the warranty is
either 90 day or one year. it used to clearly state what the warranty length
was. Now its impossible to know for certain unless you pay for the extra
warranty. But no definite for the 90 day.

BTW I checked Gateway and they are just as obscure. However HP is very clear
there standard warranty is one year!

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
>> The 1 year is extra. The no extended is the default. I believe that is
>> the old 90 day warranty that they are now trying to hide.
>>
> At the end of the day the onus is on you the BUYER to read any small print
> but usually most people myself included just click away merrily and then
> when you need to make a claim or the product arrives you get referred to
> the small print and find your at fault, So the message is simple, READ THE
> SMALL PRINT and then decide if you want the product and stop moaning when
> its not what you thought
>>
>> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Look at the very small letters on the page where they give the warranty
>>> options. It usually says that there is a won-year warranty. The default
>>> selection is "no extended warranty" meaning you are not getting a
>>> warranty longer than the one-year.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> --
>>> C and A Bredt
>>> "Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message

Just try to get decent service on a defective HP computer! Just try to phone HP
without paying them for the phone call.

I tear apart and fix all brands of computers. I don't turn any of them down.
No coincidence that I've opted to resell a lot of Dell boxes rather than
building my own or picking another brand... Ben Myers

Jack Suttles wrote:

> Well, well, well! Here comes Noton to the defense of Dell once again.

Yada, yada, yada

Speak English you cuntflap. Are you working for Dell or something with the
yada, yada?
"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> Jack Suttles wrote:
>
>> Well, well, well! Here comes Noton to the defense of Dell once again.
>
> Yada, yada, yada

This i am in agreement with. That is why I still recommend dell to my
customers. However that is still not an acceptable excuse for the misleading
of warranty information not to mention the legality of it.

Jack Suttles wrote:

> Speak English you cuntflap.

"Cuntflap"? I don't take that kind of talk from a twatwaffle like you.

Thanks, "twatwaffle" is a good one. I'll have to add that one to my list.
> Jack Suttles wrote:
>
>> Speak English you cuntflap.
>
> "Cuntflap"? I don't take that kind of talk from a twatwaffle like you.

Are you the ONLY person on the planet that didn't know yada, yada, yada came
from a Seinfeld episode?

"Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Speak English you cuntflap. Are you working for Dell or something with the
> yada, yada?
> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
>> Jack Suttles wrote:
>>
>>> Well, well, well! Here comes Noton to the defense of Dell once again.
>>
>> Yada, yada, yada

I guess so. Sorry, I'm just not a TV watching sofa potato.
> Are you the ONLY person on the planet that didn't know yada, yada, yada
> came from a Seinfeld episode?
>

> "Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Speak English you cuntflap. Are you working for Dell or something with
>> the yada, yada?
>> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message

>>> Yada, yada, yada

So, don't you owe him an apology for your lack of cultural knowledge?

>I guess so. Sorry, I'm just not a TV watching sofa potato.
>> Are you the ONLY person on the planet that didn't know yada, yada, yada
>> came from a Seinfeld episode?
>>

>> "Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Speak English you cuntflap. Are you working for Dell or something with
>>> the yada, yada?
>>> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message

So you are making the inference that I am lacking cultural knowledge because
I'm not familiar with some TV show?
Wow Tom, you are intelligent! You should consider going into education.

Jack Suttles wrote:

> I guess so. Sorry, I'm just not a TV watching sofa potato.

I never watched Seinfeld myself, but still knew the origin of the
phrase. Some people pay attention and accumulate knowledge as they pass
thru life, for others every day is the first day on the job.

BTW, the term is "couch potato" (thought you'd want to know so your
posts don't make you look like such a twatwaffle).

> So you are making the inference that I am lacking cultural knowledge
> because I'm not familiar with some TV show?

With this group, anything is possible.
BTW, I didn't know it either, but then like you and apparently unlike some
in this group, I am not a "TV watching sofa potato", either. >g<

"Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote in message
> So you are making the inference that I am lacking cultural knowledge
> because I'm not familiar with some TV show?
> Wow Tom, you are intelligent! You should consider going into education.
>> So, don't you owe him an apology for your lack of cultural knowledge?
>>
>> "Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>>I guess so. Sorry, I'm just not a TV watching sofa potato.
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

"Jack Suttles" <jsuttles@nomail.com> wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>> So, don't you owe him an apology for your lack of cultural knowledge?

>So you are making the inference that I am lacking cultural knowledge because
>I'm not familiar with some TV show?
>Wow Tom, you are intelligent! You should consider going into education.

While I might not have gone as far as Tom did, I, too, was
surprised - if one takes the assumption that you live/work in the
US. No matter how adamantly a non-TV watcher a person may have
been in the Seinfeld show's heydays, there was no way that in
normal conversations with friends and coworkers someone wouldn't
have picked up the catch phrases it originated - such as the
aforesaid "yada, yada, yada".

Like Seinfeld, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In in the '60s was an
exceptional source of catch phrases that started making the
office-cooler rounds.

Even in the early '50s, when fewer than a third of homes even had
a TV, Milton Berle's latest shticks spread like wildfire to those
that were TV-less.
--
OJ III