Nextel i730, GPS and Microsoft streets and trips

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 10, 2004 1:28:55 AM

All the literature that I have read for both streets and trips
as well as Nextel leads me to believe that I can use my Nextel
i730 as a GPS receiver.

Nexetl states that the NEMA version for the i730 is V3.0
Microsoft Streets and Trips states that as long as the NEMA
is V2.0 or greater then all I need to do is configure the GPS receiver.
after configuring the receiver I am still unable to get the computer to
recognize i730. it tell me that there is no GPS receiver connected.

Yes I have a data cable and Yes it's plugged I have also taken the time
to ensure that everything is enabled as far as I know, However still no
connection. it's a USB connection.

Using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 on a laptop with XP Home.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 9:08:28 PM

http://idenphonescontactus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/idenpho...

in short:"
"You can purchase a Motorola serial cable (USB is currently unsupported for
GPS applications) from Motorola parts group at 1-800-422-4210 or online at
www.idenstore.com or through your local service provider sales location."

"Richard" <r_tobin@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> All the literature that I have read for both streets and trips
> as well as Nextel leads me to believe that I can use my Nextel
> i730 as a GPS receiver.
>
> Nexetl states that the NEMA version for the i730 is V3.0
> Microsoft Streets and Trips states that as long as the NEMA
> is V2.0 or greater then all I need to do is configure the GPS receiver.
> after configuring the receiver I am still unable to get the computer to
> recognize i730. it tell me that there is no GPS receiver connected.
>
> Yes I have a data cable and Yes it's plugged I have also taken the time
> to ensure that everything is enabled as far as I know, However still no
> connection. it's a USB connection.
>
> Using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 on a laptop with XP Home.
April 14, 2004 12:25:56 AM

The free version of the GPS that is in the i730 will not work with another
program. You would have to buy up to the GPS Service through nextel, in
which case you wouldn't need the Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004.

"Richard" <r_tobin@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> All the literature that I have read for both streets and trips
> as well as Nextel leads me to believe that I can use my Nextel
> i730 as a GPS receiver.
>
> Nexetl states that the NEMA version for the i730 is V3.0
> Microsoft Streets and Trips states that as long as the NEMA
> is V2.0 or greater then all I need to do is configure the GPS receiver.
> after configuring the receiver I am still unable to get the computer to
> recognize i730. it tell me that there is no GPS receiver connected.
>
> Yes I have a data cable and Yes it's plugged I have also taken the time
> to ensure that everything is enabled as far as I know, However still no
> connection. it's a USB connection.
>
> Using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 on a laptop with XP Home.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 7:12:54 PM

You are mixing things up!!!

the phone can be hooked up to any laptop or PDA with GPS mapping software
on it supporting NMEA using the serial cable, identically to any off the
shelf GPS (eg. Garmin).

Tracking the phone is a different story, this function needs a a
subscription to an online tracking service
+ total connect+ a certain Java app loaded to your phone. The java app can
"read" the GPS info
and send it over the phone's packet data internet connection at certain
prescibed intervals
to the subscribed company's server, where it may be viewed by someone with
authorization (eg. your boss; husband; wife; etc) check out
http://accutracking.com/

news:p oGdnWfavv6EGOHdRVn-jw@comcast.com...

!