Microsoft Donates Double for Upgrades From IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
MS... doing good... i'm sorry.. i cant 'digest' this concept.. whats MS going to feed them? food on demo/trial discs for WIN7?

G

Im going to download the equivalent of the cost for win 7, that way my purchase feeds people not ms lol

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
So $1.15 is eight meals? They should start a "Upgrade to Vista and feed 1865 people" campaign where they give all the proceeds for Vista licenses to food banks. It's not like Microsoft would miss it! Hell, why not give the vista license to them, too!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]hmm, if it counts for multiple computers at the same ip, lets make a script that downloads it over and over[/citation]

My thoughts exactly! Let's just download again and again and again!

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I don't understand this hate from you guys. Someone (who cares who) is doing good in this world and you want to exploit, ruin or mock it. Are you seriously dead inside?

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This is dumb. Microsoft is giving away meals which is good but for people to upgrade their web browser? This should of been done a long time ago and it's not like they are donating meals for people recycling or turning off the lights or doing any good in the world.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
ummm just download the browser.... you think 1.15 doesnt go far.... you are wrong, food banks get items in mega bulk....the pricing of the raw foods is greatly decreased.... and all you dumb fucks do is complain about it? its more than you are doing.... but if you stop complaining and download, then you are doing something....and i dont want to hear you dont like ie8, then dont use it...i didnt like being homeless for 2 years, but those food banks were there, and now i do every bit i can for them

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I need to remember to download IE8 from this website. My computer has been marking IE8 as a "critical update" for weeks now and I've been ignoring it. I figure IE8 will eventually end up on my computer because of Automatic Updates, I might as well download it and feed 8 hungry people.

That said, the only computers I use still running IE6 are at work, and they're only on IE6 cause IT is too afraid to allow people to upgrade, so I guess 16 people go hungry tonight.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]I don't understand this hate from you guys. Someone (who cares who) is doing good in this world and you want to exploit, ruin or mock it. Are you seriously dead inside?[/citation]

We just want to make sure enough people get a few meals. And we want to laugh at M$ for forgetting to put duplicate prevention in their system. But if I download it 10x, I help 10x as many people, my connection can download it 10x without a problem, am I a bad person to want to help more people?

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Well I guess it is somehow limited and not only to IP ;-) There are too many IPs and too many people would like to see MS to pay "a lot" and would try basically DoS to make them bleed. I guess some registration might be needed there to pay that 1$ .. and honestly I am lazy to even try to click on that link to check that.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I need to remember to download IE8 from this website. My computer has been marking IE8 as a "critical update" for weeks now and I've been ignoring it. I figure IE8 will eventually end up on my computer because of Automatic Updates, I might as well download it and feed 8 hungry people.That said, the only computers I use still running IE6 are at work, and they're only on IE6 cause IT is too afraid to allow people to upgrade, so I guess 16 people go hungry tonight.[/citation]
That is precisely what Microsoft is doing, making an initiative to influence people who are reluctant to upgrade to do so. Many companies, big or small, do not have the right IT staff to do testing and upgrade, therefore stuck at IE6. Some others, much like the company that you're in, are afraid of change. IE6 is full of exploits and does not adhere to W3C standards. This is a good approach for MS to drop support for IE6 and at the same time, feed the poor. One stone hits two birds.

G

I downloaded the file, but didn't install it...
I don't believe in forced charity. After my download, a message came thank you for feeding 8people or so,and I didn't even install the soft.
I run firefox,and stay with that, but am happy my 10 seconds and 20MB of bandwidth could feed 8 people!
What I do after that remains my business.
Besides,I tried IE8 before, and it was so horrible,I uninstalled it that same afternoon!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Good that MS is trying to have marking strategy which are not just focus on money gaining only.
However, considering the benifits MS will get from having us upgrade to IE8, $1.15 equals to nothing to MS... Unless I happen to need to upgrade to IE8... I will prefer to donate $2 to my local food bank.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think the point is that Microsoft is trying to get users to replace IE6. They have been getting a lot of flack from the web dev community over IE6 standards problems.

If you're on some other browser then don't worry about it.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I wonder if this is a US only initiative? Take large government organizations outside the US still using IE6? Would the contribute to programs in the native country from which the IP address originated?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tektek[/nom]MS... doing good... i'm sorry.. i cant 'digest' this concept.. whats MS going to feed them? food on demo/trial discs for WIN7?[/citation]

You can't digest this concept? MS has donated more to charity than many countries combined. Yes they are still rich (they are a business), but matching employees up to $12,000 a year for charity seems pretty genuine to me, how many other companies do that?

You can ridicule MS for many things, but I don't think being charitable is one.

G

I love how installing IE7 or IE8 on an XP machine gives you that warning about the need to turn off your antivirus. Just like with printer drivers(money anti-counterfeiting, as if bill markers aren't enough), it needs to install a backdoor for law enforcement that your antivirus may not like. Firefox does not ask you to turn off your antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.