Support 3?

Hi,

I see where Dell wants me to upgrade from Support 2 to what sounds like a much
busier Support 3 that will scan my computer for potential problems and alert me etc.

Is this worth doing? Or am I going to get spurious "alerts" and lots of not so
useful mouse interaction? I haven't gotten much use from Support 2.
Anyone else?

Apparently, you can opt out by going Control Panel | Add/Remove | Dell Support by
June 1, so presumably an unwanted Support 3 would also at least be uninstallable.

Thanks,

Travis

Hi,
I have chosen not to let Dell upgrade my current Support 2 to Support
3. I thought the way to accomplish this is thru XP's Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs. When I try to remove the Dell Support program in
the list, it fails the removal process every time (ie., it will not let
you remove this program). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

roncecc1@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have chosen not to let Dell upgrade my current Support 2 to Support
> 3. I thought the way to accomplish this is thru XP's Control Panel
> Add/Remove Programs. When I try to remove the Dell Support program in
> the list, it fails the removal process every time (ie., it will not
> let you remove this program). Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Try removing from Safe Mode.

Hi again,
I have tried everything including removal while in the Safe Mode
without any success. It's like the Dell Support program is somehow
sharing software with some Microsoft application thus preventing its
removal. When you select the Remove button from the Add/Remove
Programs, a message that it is configuring the program and then another
message comes up saying Canceling.
As a result, there is no removal. I even talked to the Dell support
group and they are stumped! I need some high powered software guru
that has the magic key. Anyone ready to tackle this?

Thanks,

Ron

<roncecc1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi again,
> I have tried everything including removal while in the Safe Mode
> without any success. It's like the Dell Support program is somehow
> sharing software with some Microsoft application thus preventing its
> removal. When you select the Remove button from the Add/Remove
> Programs, a message that it is configuring the program and then another
> message comes up saying Canceling.
> As a result, there is no removal. I even talked to the Dell support
> group and they are stumped! I need some high powered software guru
> that has the magic key. Anyone ready to tackle this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

I suppose it goes w/o saying that you've turned 'dell support' off in
msconfig, or that it should be off in safe mode automatically. It sounds as
if the program is still running in some instance when you've attempted to
bounce it.

I've removed it quite a few times w/o problems.....

Stew

It is my understanding that it will act similar to Microsoft's OS update
feature periodically checking your system for what hardware is installed and
then looking to see if any new driver/software upgrade is available.

All-in-all I don't see any problems with this and I doubt the amount of
alerts will go up drastically. I'm only getting about one a month (or less)
now, can't see this as a big deal.

I have bigger things to worry about - like should we have brats or burgers
for supper?