Closed

Does anybody buy games from this group???

Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup?? Let
me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50 dollars??
There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong. There
sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures but
then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??
20 answers Last reply
More about does games group

    your better off ebaying them with no reserve, trust me.
    I've sold lots of parts on the group, however.

    Troy,

    Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup?? Let
    > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    dollars??
    > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    There
    > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures
    but
    > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    NOPE
    You should just give them to the goodwill. You can use the total for a
    tax right off and make more than you can here. You spend your time
    posting a nice ad and then waste your time sending pictures and then
    these asses won't email you back. For me it's hard to send pic for i am
    stuck with this Web tv junk and i have to send one pic per email. So
    that takes some time and AGAIN no reply. A simple no not interested or
    your games are junk just nothing.

    In the past i have had better luck selling here bt now i guess game
    sales are at rock bottom. It seems like the past 2 years it's easier to
    part these classics out and sell on ebay. Ihad a fair Star Wars
    project. I only wanted $450 for it and the best offer i could get here
    was $225.00 I made over $600.00 on ebay for the parts??? Gee i would
    rather keep the clssics alive but not here.

    Go ahead everyone bash me down but you know it's true.

    Jeff
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Umm.... can't say that I ever bought a "working" game from the group... lots
    of parts, cabinets, broken stuff... but nothing that I could acutally just
    plug-in and play... (actually, I LIKE the challenge of fixing stuff... if
    it's to easy then *I* don't get my fun out of the machine, just the kids...
    and what's with that?).

    I have a feeling that most of the people here look for either: the really
    cheap stuff, or the really high-priced rare items...

    I highly doubt that if you listed a nice pac-man for $800 here that you
    would get any takers... $250 maybe, but not $800.

    On the other hand if you listed a nice dedicated Major Havoc for $3K you're
    probably have it sold in a day or two...

    "Ace" <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup?? Let
    > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    > dollars??
    > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    > There
    > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures
    > but
    > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    >NOPE
    >You should just give them to the goodwill. You can use the total for a
    >tax right off and make more than you can here.

    That would greatly depend on your tax situation.

    I donated a car last year, and ended up getting nothing off on my
    taxes, to my surprise. Would have been better off getting the $500+
    dollars I easily could have got for it. So be careful if your going
    to donate games and expect to get anything. You better have your
    taxes carefully figured out.

    I'd be willing to bet if you ask reasonable prices you'd be able to
    sell some games. I'd think plenty of games sell on here in the $150
    - $400 range.

    Which games are you trying to sell? Do you have something people
    want? That could be the problem.

    I've bought a few machines here, and plenty of parts. The machines
    were each well above $50.

    I'm in RI, and am currently looking for a reasonably priced Asteroids
    & a Space Duel, Gravitar or Black Widow. I've found a few lately, but
    at eBay prices. Seems like I should be able to do a little better
    than that on here. I'd also consider non-working if the price were
    right. From what I can tell, none of them have sold here, so if
    anyone wants to make a reasonable deal let me know.

    Can pick up in RI, MA & parts of CT + NH and also save you on the
    hassle of shipping & expense of eBaying,

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:15:36 -0500, MRTRON@webtv.net wrote:

    >NOPE
    >You should just give them to the goodwill. You can use the total for a
    >tax right off and make more than you can here. You spend your time
    >posting a nice ad and then waste your time sending pictures and then
    >these asses won't email you back. For me it's hard to send pic for i am
    >stuck with this Web tv junk and i have to send one pic per email. So
    >that takes some time and AGAIN no reply. A simple no not interested or
    >your games are junk just nothing.
    >
    >In the past i have had better luck selling here bt now i guess game
    >sales are at rock bottom. It seems like the past 2 years it's easier to
    >part these classics out and sell on ebay. Ihad a fair Star Wars
    >project. I only wanted $450 for it and the best offer i could get here
    >was $225.00 I made over $600.00 on ebay for the parts??? Gee i would
    >rather keep the clssics alive but not here.
    >
    >Go ahead everyone bash me down but you know it's true.
    >
    > Jeff

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I've sold and bought lots of stuff from this group. You never know who
    is reading and needs an obscure part. If your like me you think about
    how all the different things to do to get your collection the way you
    want it and what you might need. Some recent stuff I purchased or sold
    directly from this group in the past year:

    Assault UR - Sold
    Tron mini - Sold
    Frenzy ZPU - Bought
    Multi-Williams JAMMA PCB - Sold

    Mike
    www.habos-arcade.com
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:31:00 -0500, Ace wrote:

    > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup?? Let
    > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50 dollars??
    > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong. There
    > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures but
    > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

    Yep.
    Off the top of my head I bought:
    working Sinistar
    non-working Millipede upright
    2 tempest cabinets
    non-working asteroids
    working time pilot
    working Rampage
    non-working 720

    I sold:
    working Millipede cocktail
    non-working Millipede upright (I got it working, then it stopped after I
    fixed the power supply :( and didn't notice until it was picked up :((
    working Sinistar
    2 Tempest cabinets
    non-working asteroids
    working time pilot
    working Rampage

    Not that I have a lot of experience, but I'd say things generally go
    cheaper on the newsgroups than on Ebay, but not by a whole lot. Most of
    what I got on the Newsgroups I've resold, mostly because it either was
    beyond me to fix, or I got it cheap in the first place and wasn't one of
    my 'real' wants.

    Rick
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Not everyone that browses this group is cheap.. I would say most of the
    regular posters have their sources so they can get stuff cheaper but there
    are some people who lurk and post once in a great while who do buy stuff.
    Some folks don't have the sources to find stuff cheaper. I've sold stuff in
    here for anywhere from free to $1000. Basically, I think it just comes down
    to the right buyer at the right time. I almost always post what I'm going
    to ebay here first. Sometimes I'll get lucky and sometimes the stuff will
    just go to ebay. No big deal if it doesn't sell here. I posted a Black
    Widow here, then to ebay, then back to here and it sold here. I was asking
    $500 obo and I got $450 (I think) for it and it was in really nice shape
    with the side art and everything.

    just my 2¢

    Scott

    "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
    > your better off ebaying them with no reserve, trust me.
    > I've sold lots of parts on the group, however.
    >
    > Troy,
    >

    > Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup??
    Let
    > > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    > dollars??
    > > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    > There
    > > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures
    > but
    > > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > Umm.... can't say that I ever bought a "working" game from the group... lots
    > of parts, cabinets, broken stuff... but nothing that I could acutally just
    > plug-in and play... (actually, I LIKE the challenge of fixing stuff... if
    > it's to easy then *I* don't get my fun out of the machine, just the kids...
    > and what's with that?).

    Same here. I love the challenge of fixing a game and restoring it. After
    it's done, I'll play it for a bit, but soon I get bored and want another one
    to work on. :)

    When I read in here, I do look for the "dead" deals. I don't limit it
    financially to a cheap deal, but they get top priority. I also will NOT
    ship a game. Way too costly on top of the buying price.

    Maybe the complainer is just in a bad area? Location DOES mean a LOT.

    Bill
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    The thing is, what really determines the price of a game?
    Answer....EBAY. And thats the trouble. Someone sees a game go for say
    $800...and right away they put their same game on ebay thinking thats
    what it is worth. I'm not cheap, but i'm not going to over pay for
    something that I know if I wait a little bit longer a better deal will
    come my way. Saw a Pengo Machine go for $250, nice condition...lost it
    cuz i was at work at the time of closing. But then the next week
    someone put one up for bid starting at $900. Come on. The way I look
    at it, is that ebay is all about making money. I thought the
    newsgroups were about helping out a fellow collector, and not about
    getting every last dime out of selling an item on here. If you are
    looking for that, sell it on ebay.

    Mike
    --
    http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I had a guy recently who nit picked on price after we already agreed on a
    price.
    When I send you all my info, dealing is over. Nit pick all you want before
    hand.
    better for me anyway, so off to ebay it when I sold it for $350 more than
    the guy wanted to nit pick on it.
    Go ebay, it's a better option. no nit picking and you get paid.

    Troy,

    thrushguy <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Not everyone that browses this group is cheap.. I would say most of the
    > regular posters have their sources so they can get stuff cheaper but there
    > are some people who lurk and post once in a great while who do buy stuff.
    > Some folks don't have the sources to find stuff cheaper. I've sold stuff
    in
    > here for anywhere from free to $1000. Basically, I think it just comes
    down
    > to the right buyer at the right time. I almost always post what I'm going
    > to ebay here first. Sometimes I'll get lucky and sometimes the stuff will
    > just go to ebay. No big deal if it doesn't sell here. I posted a Black
    > Widow here, then to ebay, then back to here and it sold here. I was
    asking
    > $500 obo and I got $450 (I think) for it and it was in really nice shape
    > with the side art and everything.
    >
    > just my 2¢
    >
    > Scott
    >

    > "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
    > > your better off ebaying them with no reserve, trust me.
    > > I've sold lots of parts on the group, however.
    > >
    > > Troy,
    > >

    > > Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup??
    > Let
    > > > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    > > dollars??
    > > > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    > > There
    > > > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send
    pictures
    > > but
    > > > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    My experience leads me to post parts and projects on this newsgroup.
    Fully restored games go to eBay, local buyers or sometimes my website
    finds a buyer.

    I buy projects and parts from this news group. When I am looking here
    I am looking for part and projects. If I buy a working game it needs
    something: side art, Audio fixes, something. I also hope to find the
    ocassional bulk deal from Sebastian or someone within 100 miles.

    I buy parts for less than $50. I don't think I bought anything here
    over $400 / game.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I'm fairly new to all of this, and my collection now stands at four
    machines and a few boards. I bought three of the machines from the
    newsgroup, one of which I wanted bad enough to pay shipping, that being
    my Turkey Shoot. The other two were relatively local, and for a good
    price, so I was willing to drive to pick them up. My fourth machine I
    found through an eBay posting, but it wasn't auctioned, just mentioned.
    I contacted the guy and negotiated a price. Thus far my purchases
    have all been fairly smooth.

    Now that I have the machines I wanted the most, I'm lurking and
    watching for second tier games and good deals... If anyone in the
    Pacific NW has a Midway Bump 'n Jump for cheap in good cosmetic shape,
    drop me a line!

    Lance
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I have both bought and sold games on this group but if I want top $ on a
    game I advertise in the local paper.

    Andre
    www.arcadesolution.com

    "Ace" <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup?? Let
    > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    > dollars??
    > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    > There
    > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send pictures
    > but
    > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Yeah, I bought the Black Widow from Scott.

    Nice machine, works great.

    I look on here all the time, Have purchased several machines from here.
    "thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Not everyone that browses this group is cheap.. I would say most of the
    > regular posters have their sources so they can get stuff cheaper but there
    > are some people who lurk and post once in a great while who do buy stuff.
    > Some folks don't have the sources to find stuff cheaper. I've sold stuff
    > in
    > here for anywhere from free to $1000. Basically, I think it just comes
    > down
    > to the right buyer at the right time. I almost always post what I'm going
    > to ebay here first. Sometimes I'll get lucky and sometimes the stuff will
    > just go to ebay. No big deal if it doesn't sell here. I posted a Black
    > Widow here, then to ebay, then back to here and it sold here. I was
    > asking
    > $500 obo and I got $450 (I think) for it and it was in really nice shape
    > with the side art and everything.
    >
    > just my 2¢
    >
    > Scott
    >

    > "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
    >> your better off ebaying them with no reserve, trust me.
    >> I've sold lots of parts on the group, however.
    >>
    >> Troy,
    >>

    >> Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> > Just curious but does anyone actually buy games from this newsgroup??
    > Let
    >> > me clear that up. Does anyone buy games that are not less then 50
    >> dollars??
    >> > There doesn't seem to be much sold that I can tell. I could be wrong.
    >> There
    >> > sure are a lot of people who have you go to the trouble to send
    >> > pictures
    >> but
    >> > then they never respond after that. Any thoughts on this??

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I've bought and sold many games from this group. I think it works quite
    nicely. You'll always have people that back out of a deal, even on eBay.
    Sure it's annoying, but that's life. There are always little annoyances.
    Deal with it and move on.

    Adam

    "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I bought the Black Widow from Scott.
    >
    > Nice machine, works great.
    >
    > I look on here all the time, Have purchased several machines from here.
    > "thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Not everyone that browses this group is cheap.. I would say most of the
    >> regular posters have their sources so they can get stuff cheaper but
    >> there
    >> are some people who lurk and post once in a great while who do buy stuff.
    >> Some folks don't have the sources to find stuff cheaper. I've sold stuff
    >> in
    >> here for anywhere from free to $1000. Basically, I think it just comes
    >> down
    >> to the right buyer at the right time. I almost always post what I'm
    >> going
    >> to ebay here first. Sometimes I'll get lucky and sometimes the stuff
    >> will
    >> just go to ebay. No big deal if it doesn't sell here. I posted a Black
    >> Widow here, then to ebay, then back to here and it sold here. I was
    >> asking
    >> $500 obo and I got $450 (I think) for it and it was in really nice shape
    >> with the side art and everything.
    >>
    >> just my 2¢
    >>
    >> Scott
    >>

    >> "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
    >>> your better off ebaying them with no reserve, trust me.
    >>> I've sold lots of parts on the group, however.
    >>>
    >>> Troy,
    >>>

    >>> Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> Let
    >>> dollars??
    >>> There
    >>> but

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    my guy wasn't backing out, he just wanted to nit pick after the fact.
    I killed the deal.

    Troy,

    Adam Dare <adam_AT_msn_DOT_com> wrote in message
    > I've bought and sold many games from this group. I think it works quite
    > nicely. You'll always have people that back out of a deal, even on eBay.
    > Sure it's annoying, but that's life. There are always little annoyances.
    > Deal with it and move on.
    >
    > Adam
    >
    > "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, I bought the Black Widow from Scott.
    > >
    > > Nice machine, works great.
    > >
    > > I look on here all the time, Have purchased several machines from here.
    > > "thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Not everyone that browses this group is cheap.. I would say most of
    the
    > >> regular posters have their sources so they can get stuff cheaper but
    > >> there
    > >> are some people who lurk and post once in a great while who do buy
    stuff.
    > >> Some folks don't have the sources to find stuff cheaper. I've sold
    stuff
    > >> in
    > >> here for anywhere from free to $1000. Basically, I think it just comes
    > >> down
    > >> to the right buyer at the right time. I almost always post what I'm
    > >> going
    > >> to ebay here first. Sometimes I'll get lucky and sometimes the stuff
    > >> will
    > >> just go to ebay. No big deal if it doesn't sell here. I posted a
    Black
    > >> Widow here, then to ebay, then back to here and it sold here. I was
    > >> asking
    > >> $500 obo and I got $450 (I think) for it and it was in really nice
    shape
    > >> with the side art and everything.
    > >>
    > >> just my 2¢
    > >>
    > >> Scott
    > >>

    > >> "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message

    > >> Let

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    maybe I should add, that this was on a pinball machine, in RGP.
    maybe pin heads I worse to deal with on pins.
    always had good dealings with the video heads.

    Troy,

    > my guy wasn't backing out, he just wanted to nit pick after the fact.
    > I killed the deal.
    >
    > Troy,
    >

    > Adam Dare <adam_AT_msn_DOT_com> wrote in message
    > > I've bought and sold many games from this group. I think it works quite
    > > nicely. You'll always have people that back out of a deal, even on
    eBay.
    > > Sure it's annoying, but that's life. There are always little
    annoyances.
    > > Deal with it and move on.
    > >
    > > Adam
    > >
    > > "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > > > Yeah, I bought the Black Widow from Scott.
    > > >
    > > > Nice machine, works great.
    > > >
    > > > I look on here all the time, Have purchased several machines from
    here.
    > > > "thrushguy" <garons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > the
    > stuff.
    > stuff
    > Black
    > shape

    > newsgroup??
    > wrong.

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Buy, sell, trade and meet people. Most of the collectors in my state I've
    met via ads and posts here, as well as a few from neighboring states. -dan
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I hear that, everybody I've met and dealt with in Vegas is great.
    And so.cal for that matter. Have found some great hookup's.

    Troy,

    Dan <ten@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
    > Buy, sell, trade and meet people. Most of the collectors in my state I've
    > met via ads and posts here, as well as a few from neighboring states. -dan
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I bought one from the group and was happy also.

    Todd "GravitaR"

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:18:07 -0800, "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:

    >I hear that, everybody I've met and dealt with in Vegas is great.
    >And so.cal for that matter. Have found some great hookup's.
    >
    >Troy,
    >

    >Dan <ten@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
    >> Buy, sell, trade and meet people. Most of the collectors in my state I've
    >> met via ads and posts here, as well as a few from neighboring states. -dan

Classifieds Games Newsgroup Video Hot Deals