What is the best NVIDIA Driver?

G

Of all the NVIDIA drivers out there, what are the best ones for Window 2000. I am more concerned with stability than squeezing out every last point on 3dMark2000. :)

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found the 6.50 to be very stable and still high performing.

Any version above 6.18 SHOULD do, but you never know what funny little things you run into...

G

Thanks. I too have found the 6.50 drivers to work well. The only thing I am considering is whether or not to go to a 7.xx driver since I have DirectX 8a running and the 7 series drivers are supposed to be more reliable with it. And since I have Windows 2000 there is no way for me to go back to DirectX 7 :-(. Ahh well. Thanks again for the response.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well, i think the latest versions are always the best!
Not the case of the 6.18 , but this is the exception to the rule!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong (like I had to say that), it depends on the card you have. As I recall, everyone has been saying that if you have the TNT line (TNT1/2 w/ or w/o Ultra) to stick w/ the Detonator 2's. Isn't that correct? Bueller? Bueller?

What card are you using?

G

I believe that ver 7.1 is the best for stability as well as performance. It was the only one that didn't crash all the time in games...

GTS, win2k, a7v, 1ghz

G

For the longest time I stayed with the det 2 (tnt2). After running my own test I found the performance didn't improve or degrade too much but what did improve was the performance of texturing. In 3dsmax 3.1 there are several realtime benchmarks to use and on is a sphere with 64 different textures applied to each poly of the sphere. Running this my tnt2 couldn't keep 30fps, every 20 fps or so it would shutter. After installing 6.x drivers that went away. I installed 6.50 drivers and 3dsmax4 would error lots, not the program it's self but it would just retart my computer without warning, also with halflife when I switched out. After installing 7.10 this has gone away.

TRENDING THREADS