I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are they?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>they?

They are external speakers you plug into the line-out jack. The
speakers require their own power source because the output from the
sound card/chip is too week (it is a line-out signal, not an amplified
signal). You'll have to buy some external speakers that are powered
(they plug into the wall outlet).

"mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>they?

All computer speakers are powered externally.

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>>they?
>
> All computer speakers are powered externally.

This is completely wrong. Not all speakers are powered externally. There
are many speakers, generally sold for use with portable audio devices, that
require no power.

You computer requires speakers that have an amplifier built in. You can
tell if they are powered by determining if they plug into an electrical
outlet, or run off batteries.

If the speakers do not plug into an electrical outlet or run off batteries,
they are not powered.

Bobby

My headphones have no power cord should I go buy one.

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>>they?
>
> All computer speakers are powered externally.

Idiot...

Bobby

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> My headphones have no power cord should I go buy one.

> "Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>>>they?
>>
>> All computer speakers are powered externally.

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

That's asking for it Nog! How are the speakers on a laptop powered? Sorry I
do know what you are trying to say. To get decent sound on external speakers
you need to power amplify the signal from the pc sound card, which is
essentially a pre-amp signal ie very weak. Some people will connect an
amplifier to their PC via the sound card and use their hi-fi speakers.
Dedicated computer external speakers will have an amplifier built inside the
case.

Chelsea

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:20:42 -0500, Nog <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote:

> "mendenhall30" <mendenhall30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have no sound but my computer says it needs powered speakers what are
>> they?
>
> All computer speakers are powered externally.

My old Compaq I bought in 1999 didn't require externally powered speakers,
they were powered from the sound card. The new Compaq I have, however,
DOES require externally powered speakers, so, it depends on the computer
whether you need externally powered speakers or not.

--
Albert Sims
West Monroe,Louisiana