Setting up a VPN

I run a home LAN, consisting of a PC desktop running Windows XP Professional
and a Laptop Running Windows XP home eddition. They are both connected to a
Linksys WRT54GS router. The PC connects to the router through an ethernet
cable and the Laptop througha wireless coonection. The router is connected
to Bellsouth DSL through a Westell modem. The network works fine. Internet
connection works fine.

I have been trying to setup a separate laptop in my office, running Windows
XP home eddition, using a VPN, through a dialpup connection to my ISP
(Bellsouth) in an effort to access my home LAN. I have followed all the
instructions I have been able to find for setting up the VPN (sometimes
contradictory) and after many hours I have not been able to make the VPN
work.

My question is: Is there any way I can get a old of s i m p l e , concise
instructions to help me configure both the host computer (my pc running
Windows XP), and the client (the laptop at the office)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Art
1 answer Last reply
More about setting

    Hello there,
    Maybe if you say what is not working with the VPN, someone might be able to
    help. My experience has been that difficulties usually stem from the router
    not being correctly setup. The good news is it does work, which I hope is
    reassuring. With a VPN the devil is in the detail. I havn't yet seen a
    tutorial that covers all the bases, which is a shame because this is an
    excellent way of using the internet as your own private WAN

    Chelsea

    <artlab@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I run a home LAN, consisting of a PC desktop running Windows XP
    >Professional
    > and a Laptop Running Windows XP home eddition. They are both connected to
    > Linksys WRT54GS router. The PC connects to the router through an ethernet
    > cable and the Laptop througha wireless coonection. The router is connected
    > to Bellsouth DSL through a Westell modem. The network works fine.
    > Internet
    > connection works fine.
    >
    > I have been trying to setup a separate laptop in my office, running
    > Windows
    > XP home eddition, using a VPN, through a dialpup connection to my ISP
    > (Bellsouth) in an effort to access my home LAN. I have followed all the
    > instructions I have been able to find for setting up the VPN (sometimes
    > contradictory) and after many hours I have not been able to make the VPN
    > work.
    >
    > My question is: Is there any way I can get a old of s i m p l e ,
    > concise
    > instructions to help me configure both the host computer (my pc running
    > Windows XP), and the client (the laptop at the office)??
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Art

Laptops Windows XP