Asus Has an Nvidia Ion Nettop Dual-core Atom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Daggs[/nom]can they play FHD without any problems?[/citation]

Most ION platforms, including those with an single core Atoms have been proven to handle Blu-Ray and H.264 decoding just fine.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
ION is a home theaters dream media interface. There are so many options for OS, and software that you are sure to find the right setup for yourself. It's quite!! It's low power. And can server as a real web browser.

Add an SSD, and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and that thing and you are in business.

zengrath

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I still do not see the purpose to Mini-Pc's like this. If I'm going to want something smaller and more portable i want a laptop, a good laptop can still play most of my games and do lots of the demanding things that i need. Otherwise ism going to disk with my full size tower, first of all it's much easier to add things, upgrade parts, etc. 2nd if I'm going to have a full size tower then I'm going for pure performance, not minimizing space, or else otherwise i would just get a laptop...

G

I think it (The first gen EeeBox) was originally manufactured after the Wii,but with better specs.

Win7 will cost something, I wished they also had an SSD version, or at least 32-80GB SSD upgrades for it.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Most ION platforms, including those with an single core Atoms have been proven to handle Blu-Ray and H.264 decoding just fine.[/citation]

Yes, the Nvidia Pure Video 3 GPUs (CUDA) handle all the H.264 or MPEG2 VC-1 video decoding. In XBMC/Mplayer on Unix, it can play back a 36MBps average Blu Ray with less than 6% CPU usage.

One would expect this from next gen Directx computer and OpenCL capable GPUs.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I am disappointed that there is no room for an optical drive. With no room for an internal blu-ray drive this looks less attractive to me for a home theater machine. I'd love though, to be able to buy he innards and throw them into a case of my choosing!

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
SSD is really not that necessary. AppleTV uses a 2.5" platter HDD and makes no noise (AAM settings).

The only downside of the ION is that it still uses a slow Atom CPU that will struggle to play Hulu at least on 480p. Maybe Flash/Silverlight will add GPU decoding, but that will likely be after OpenCL becomes mainstream because most laptops don't have a OpenCL compatible GPU.

G

With the Atom dual core it may well play full screen flash (with acceptable performance). We will have to see.

jtsr

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I connected the EeeBox PC EB1012 with new 330 processor ,win 7 to a 55" Samsung Led Ive d/l all new drivers, removed bloat ware it is slow to load pages,cant stream only d/l movie then watch.. DISAPPOINTED

Status
Not open for further replies.