Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Registry Problem

Tags:
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems with
the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband and I
think a virus slipped through.

Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.

Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.

In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from it.

Cheers in advance.

More about : windows registry problem

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you follow the instructions,you can fix the registry by reading 307545
Just type in the # at microsoft,even though this topic reads "Preventing xp
from
starting due to registry" it also fixes issues such as yours.

"Jaymx" wrote:

> I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems with
> the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband and I
> think a virus slipped through.
>
> Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.
>
> Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.
>
> In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from it.
>
> Cheers in advance.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Jaymx wrote:
> I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems with
> the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband and I
> think a virus slipped through.
>
> Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.
>
> Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.
>
> In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from it.
>
> Cheers in advance.


What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
(Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
extraneous AOL garbage.)

3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
allegedly "free" service or product.

While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
"screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
one to blame but themselves.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.


To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Related resources
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:52:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Have you virus-checked your system if you think that it may have been
infected with a virus? Also check for any spyware that may be on your
system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/secur­ity/articles/spyware.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"Jaymx" <Jaymx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5639328D-D791-4F07-AAE3-87CE5A098FA2@microsoft.com...
>I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems
>with
> the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband
> and I
> think a virus slipped through.
>
> Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.
>
> Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.
>
> In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from
> it.
>
> Cheers in advance.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Cheers for the quick response.

I have used spybot, i have AVG, MS Anti Spyware and ZoneAlarm.

They pick up viruses and delete/quarantine them but I still have problems.

E.g firefox and IE both crash with errors at different times when I use them
to go online.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have you virus-checked your system if you think that it may have been
> infected with a virus? Also check for any spyware that may be on your
> system:
>
> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>
> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>
> Also see the following links:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/secur­ity/articles/spyware.asp
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "Jaymx" <Jaymx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5639328D-D791-4F07-AAE3-87CE5A098FA2@microsoft.com...
> >I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems
> >with
> > the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband
> > and I
> > think a virus slipped through.
> >
> > Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.
> >
> > Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.
> >
> > In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from
> > it.
> >
> > Cheers in advance.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:18:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Cheers Guys.

One of the error messages I keep getting up is:

Messenger Service

Message FROM SYSTEM ALERT

Windows has found 47 critical system errors

go to www.ms-fix.com.

..

Sorry if I am being a fool here, but if someone could give me a more idiots
guide to dealing with this I would really appreciate it.

I have a zonealarm firewall and other spyware programs working at the moment.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Jaymx wrote:
> > I keep on getting error messages saying that there are internal problems with
> > the registry and "Alert" this and that. I have just installed broadband and I
> > think a virus slipped through.
> >
> > Would a registry fix program help? And if so which one.
> >
> > Or do I need to clean and restart Windows.
> >
> > In which case, I have the recovery disc but need to know how to boot from it.
> >
> > Cheers in advance.
>
>
> What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
> three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.
>
> 1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"
>
> This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
> years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
> demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
> connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
> by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
> you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
> swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
> Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
> (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
> only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
> your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
> gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.
>
> Messenger Service of Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893
>
> Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
> Appears
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
>
> Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...
>
> Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
> more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
> service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
> security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
> they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
> a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
> you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
> helpful?
>
> 2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
> Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
> from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
> http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
> to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
> to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
> blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
> extraneous AOL garbage.)
>
> 3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
> "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
> KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
> understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
> quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
> Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
> www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
> possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
> against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
> manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.
>
> Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
> varieties of scumware are available here:
>
> PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
> http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml
>
> More information and assistance is available at these sites:
>
> Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> The Parasite Fight
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
> magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
> always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
> allegedly "free" service or product.
>
> While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
> who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
> majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
> gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
> past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
> cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.
>
> If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
> computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
> "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
> they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
> doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
> one to blame but themselves.
>
> There are several essential components to computer security: a
> knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
> reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
> patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.
>
> The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
> user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
> to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
> have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
> claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
> no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
> inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
> too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
> in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
> they're about to click.
>
> Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
> and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
> but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
> user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
> every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.
>
>
> To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:
>
> Protect Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp
>
> Home Computer Security
> http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/
>
> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500
>
> Home PC Firewall Guide
> http://www.firewallguide.com/
>
> Scumware.com
> http://www.scumware.com/
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
>
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:16:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Jaymx wrote:
> Cheers Guys.
>
> One of the error messages I keep getting up is:
>
> Messenger Service
>
> Message FROM SYSTEM ALERT
>
> Windows has found 47 critical system errors
>
> go to www.ms-fix.com.
>
> .
>
> Sorry if I am being a fool here, but if someone could give me a more idiots
> guide to dealing with this I would really appreciate it.
>

That's clearly messenger service spam. A properly configured firewall
will stop it completely.


> I have a zonealarm firewall and other spyware programs working at the moment.
>

Frankly, if your firewall isn't working properly, you're wisest
course of action would be to disconnect the machine from the Internet
until you get it fixed. Doing anything else is exceedingly foolish,
given today's well-publicized Internet environment.

Use the firewall to ensure UDP ports 135, 137, and 138 and TCP
ports 135, 139, and 445 are _all_ blocked. You may also disable
Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have to follow the
instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the specific steps.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!