karl

After installing Word and Excel Viewers on C: I'm being lumbered with
a 23 mb MSOCache folder on D: which I can't get rid of. Disk Cleanup
can see it, I ask it to delete *Office Setup files* (to think I don't
even have Office on my machine, that's why I installed the Viewers!)
but Disk Cleanup leaves the folder where it is.

MS say I shouldn't delete the folder through Windows Explorer - so do
I have to spend my life with it?

--
Karl

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

The Office Suite asks during installation if you want to create those files
as a backup. I havn't used the reader program, but are you sure that there
is not an option not to create that folder when installing?

Chelsea

<Karl> wrote in message news:gd8bd1df3f3qvpi87d47ahr1a147d7b9lt@4ax.com...
> After installing Word and Excel Viewers on C: I'm being lumbered with
> a 23 mb MSOCache folder on D: which I can't get rid of. Disk Cleanup
> can see it, I ask it to delete *Office Setup files* (to think I don't
> even have Office on my machine, that's why I installed the Viewers!)
> but Disk Cleanup leaves the folder where it is.
>
> MS say I shouldn't delete the folder through Windows Explorer - so do
> I have to spend my life with it?
>
> --
> Karl

karl

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:59:03 +0100, "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The Office Suite asks during installation if you want to create those files
>as a backup. I havn't used the reader program, but are you sure that there
>is not an option not to create that folder when installing?

As I said, I have NOT installed Office (I haven't got it on my
computer), just Word and Excel *Viewers* which for some reason left
this load of files behind. Most amazing.

Thanks all the same for trying to help.
--
Karl

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

No Karl I meant is there an option in the installation program of the reader
software not to install the backup files? I do realise you don't have Office
itself. Another thing you might try is going to the uninstall option in
Control Panel. Office itself has a menu of options, your reader program may
have something similar.

Chelsea

<Karl> wrote in message news:8u7cd1h4769deuio76ephph7evu5fjen88@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:59:03 +0100, "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The Office Suite asks during installation if you want to create those
>>files
>>as a backup. I havn't used the reader program, but are you sure that there
>>is not an option not to create that folder when installing?
>>
> As I said, I have NOT installed Office (I haven't got it on my
> computer), just Word and Excel *Viewers* which for some reason left
> this load of files behind. Most amazing.
>
> Thanks all the same for trying to help.
> --
> Karl

karl

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:02:18 +0100, "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>No Karl I meant is there an option in the installation program of the reader
>software not to install the backup files? I do realise you don't have Office
>itself. Another thing you might try is going to the uninstall option in
>Control Panel. Office itself has a menu of options, your reader program may
>have something similar.

Kind of you to take an interest, Chelsea :)
In Add/Rem Programs I have MS Office Excel + Word Viewers 2003 with
respective options to reinstall/repair and uninstall. Nothing else
that would appear to offer options in this matter. The Viewer online
help, however, comes up with articles I'll have to read on *Deleting
and disabling the local installation source* .

What I ask myself though is: why put the user (who has his own work to
worry about) to so much trouble and force him/her to read whole
documents to get rid of files he/she never wanted in the first place?
I can see this *local installation source* might be useful to have in
some instances, but why not clearly WARN users at installation and
give them the choice? Also this MSOCache has ended up on an
inconvenient partition - why not point it to C:\ where the Viewers
are installed and there's 8 gb free space?

How I needed this rant :)
--
Karl

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Quite agree Karl,
Microsoft and other software companies can be very cavalier with our hard
disk space. They probably work on the basis that drives are gigantic and no
one will care about loosing a few hundred megabytes. Must admit it eeks me
having these folders lying around as it certainly does you.

Chelsea