Search function crashes explorer

I have many PC's on network. Recently search function began crashing explorer
upon first use of the function. Usually, after the first crash, search works
fine until pc is rebooted. Then first search crashes explorer again. I have
installed the .ini file from the inf folder. I have created and modified the
reg key 'UseSearchAsst' to 'no'. The issue does not present itself until pc
is connected to network. Without network cable, search works fine. I placed
entry in Hosts file pointing sa.windows.com to 127.0.0.1. This took care of
smaller issue of 'My Computer' hanging for 40 seconds in Task bar upon
closing, but search function still crashes. It seems as if it is looking
for a file online first, and maybe because of proxy server can't find it,
then crashes. Then after first failure, it searches local. After first
failure, it usually is ok. Have issue on clean XP sp1 and sp2 install with
nothing on it, as soon as it attaches to network. any ideas?
4
answers
Last reply
More about search function crashes explorer

    Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
    the XP CD

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Doubletee" <Doubletee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC522790-5CA8-48E5-8973-1147A67B7AB0@microsoft.com...
    >I have many PC's on network. Recently search function began crashing explorer
    > upon first use of the function. Usually, after the first crash, search works
    > fine until pc is rebooted. Then first search crashes explorer again. I have
    > installed the .ini file from the inf folder. I have created and modified the
    > reg key 'UseSearchAsst' to 'no'. The issue does not present itself until pc
    > is connected to network. Without network cable, search works fine. I placed
    > entry in Hosts file pointing sa.windows.com to 127.0.0.1. This took care of
    > smaller issue of 'My Computer' hanging for 40 seconds in Task bar upon
    > closing, but search function still crashes. It seems as if it is looking
    > for a file online first, and maybe because of proxy server can't find it,
    > then crashes. Then after first failure, it searches local. After first
    > failure, it usually is ok. Have issue on clean XP sp1 and sp2 install with
    > nothing on it, as soon as it attaches to network. any ideas?

    Thanks Mark.....I had tried that.......didn't work. That was my meaning in my
    original post saying I installed the inf file from inf folder. Any other
    ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
    > the XP CD
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Doubletee" <Doubletee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC522790-5CA8-48E5-8973-1147A67B7AB0@microsoft.com...
    > >I have many PC's on network. Recently search function began crashing explorer
    > > upon first use of the function. Usually, after the first crash, search works
    > > fine until pc is rebooted. Then first search crashes explorer again. I have
    > > installed the .ini file from the inf folder. I have created and modified the
    > > reg key 'UseSearchAsst' to 'no'. The issue does not present itself until pc
    > > is connected to network. Without network cable, search works fine. I placed
    > > entry in Hosts file pointing sa.windows.com to 127.0.0.1. This took care of
    > > smaller issue of 'My Computer' hanging for 40 seconds in Task bar upon
    > > closing, but search function still crashes. It seems as if it is looking
    > > for a file online first, and maybe because of proxy server can't find it,
    > > then crashes. Then after first failure, it searches local. After first
    > > failure, it usually is ok. Have issue on clean XP sp1 and sp2 install with
    > > nothing on it, as soon as it attaches to network. any ideas?

    The new antispy beta from MS has a "Browser hijack' feature in the Advanced Tools menu item..

    MS Antispy software, and FAQ - Download MS anti-spyware beta :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en and read the FAQ -

    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Doubletee" <Doubletee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8AB501F-E68A-4750-A2AD-EC95AF6B619D@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks Mark.....I had tried that.......didn't work. That was my meaning in my
    > original post saying I installed the inf file from inf folder. Any other
    > ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
    >> the XP CD
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Doubletee" <Doubletee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC522790-5CA8-48E5-8973-1147A67B7AB0@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have many PC's on network. Recently search function began crashing explorer
    >> > upon first use of the function. Usually, after the first crash, search works
    >> > fine until pc is rebooted. Then first search crashes explorer again. I have
    >> > installed the .ini file from the inf folder. I have created and modified the
    >> > reg key 'UseSearchAsst' to 'no'. The issue does not present itself until pc
    >> > is connected to network. Without network cable, search works fine. I placed
    >> > entry in Hosts file pointing sa.windows.com to 127.0.0.1. This took care of
    >> > smaller issue of 'My Computer' hanging for 40 seconds in Task bar upon
    >> > closing, but search function still crashes. It seems as if it is looking
    >> > for a file online first, and maybe because of proxy server can't find it,
    >> > then crashes. Then after first failure, it searches local. After first
    >> > failure, it usually is ok. Have issue on clean XP sp1 and sp2 install with
    >> > nothing on it, as soon as it attaches to network. any ideas?

    Appreciate the help, this is what i found. If I disable our proxy settings,
    the search function works fine. The entry into hosts file, then resolves
    issue of Search window 'hanging' after closure. However, we must use our
    proxy. So, I researched the reg entry fix again, discovered I had entered as
    'UseSeachAsst' instead of 'Use Search Asst' with spaces. Once I used the
    entry with spaces, the fix seemed to work. I will test a bit more, but think
    we will push this reg entry to all our PC's. Thanks for the responses.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > The new antispy beta from MS has a "Browser hijack' feature in the Advanced Tools menu item..
    >
    > MS Antispy software, and FAQ - Download MS anti-spyware beta :
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en and read the FAQ -

    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Doubletee" <Doubletee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8AB501F-E68A-4750-A2AD-EC95AF6B619D@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks Mark.....I had tried that.......didn't work. That was my meaning in my
    > > original post saying I installed the inf file from inf folder. Any other
    > > ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
    > >> the XP CD
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm