What are the best places for Route sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am a new op looking to break into the business of owning an arcade
route. I just wanted to ask for suggestions about what are good sites
to open and what machines do well. Currently I am looking to open up
at some college universities. Can anyone give insight into what I
should expect to take in off these sites?

Thanks,
Paul

The Duke wrote:
> I am a new op looking to break into the business of owning an arcade
> route. I just wanted to ask for suggestions about what are good sites
> to open and what machines do well. Currently I am looking to open up
> at some college universities. Can anyone give insight into what I
> should expect to take in off these sites?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Colleges are great sites for arcade games if you can find a time
machine and go back to the mid 1980's. The only thing you will see
college kids spending money on these days (game-wise) is at walmart on
PS2/ XBox stuff. Trust me, I would like nothing more to have local
arcade open and booming, and if it was 1984 I would probably own one.
Advice, if you must get into the business, stick with megatough
machines, golden tee golf, and maybe a driving game (rush 2049).
Problem for a new op is that the costs are extremely high for these
games and the pay off can take a long, long time. There is still
plenty of money in the food/ vending side of the coin op business so
maybe try doing both and ease your way into the games end.

But then again, what the f do I know?

Good luck.

The Duke wrote:
> I am a new op looking to break into the business of owning an arcade
> route. I just wanted to ask for suggestions about what are good sites
> to open and what machines do well. Currently I am looking to open up
> at some college universities. Can anyone give insight into what I
> should expect to take in off these sites?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Absolutely right. I've been in the business for 21 years, and it's
much tougher to make a buck in this industry today. IMHO coin-op video
games are hardly worth operating any more. The machines that saved me
are merchandisers...cranes and redemption games. I know most of the
people here hate these things which now occupy the places once held by
the great old classic videos. But this is what makes money today, and
it's what we have to do to survive.

Dan

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

pooltables
sitdown drivers
touchscreens
standup palm readers
impulse machines
<elecdanic@aol.com> wrote in message
> Absolutely right. I've been in the business for 21 years, and it's
> much tougher to make a buck in this industry today. IMHO coin-op video
> games are hardly worth operating any more. The machines that saved me
> are merchandisers...cranes and redemption games. I know most of the
> people here hate these things which now occupy the places once held by
> the great old classic videos. But this is what makes money today, and
> it's what we have to do to survive.
>
> Dan

Thanks for the advice guys, I have a few shooter games like area 51
site 4 and racing games like sega GT. So I think I will put thoes on
location and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Get a gun saver or similar product, kids are REALLY bad about tearing up
guns.

Related moral story:

I had a Galaga I guess I forgot to lock the CP down on at a location (not my
machine) and the kids got caught stealing quarters out of it.

I would have had the cops show up and it would have been a LONG TIME before
they could sit down if they were mine. It was a family restaurant, and I
think the parents or a responsible adult were there.

Pressed charges? Maybe not depending on the kids' attitude (punk=you're
seein' the judge)but I bet there would have been some wet eyes and underwear
in the house.

Stealing, vandalism, etc. are real pet peeves of mine as I bet they are of
most ops/techs/folks.