Explorer and Wi-Fi

Whenever I make a Wi-Fi connection that doesn't require a login, e.g., our
local library, Windows XP Internet Explorer wants to connect using my dialup
ISP connection. I have talked to the support people and everything they
suggested with IE settings didn't work. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Dick Tennent wrote:
> Whenever I make a Wi-Fi connection that doesn't require a login, e.g., our
> local library, Windows XP Internet Explorer wants to connect using my dialup
> ISP connection. I have talked to the support people and everything they
> suggested with IE settings didn't work. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Go to your connections page. Click the 'Advanced' pull down menu. Select
the 'Advanced Settings...' selection.

Open the 'Adapters and Bindings' tab.

In the 'Connections:' block, move your 'Wireless Network Connection' to
the top, so it will be chosen first.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try this also:

Click the 'Advanced' pull down menu. Select 'Dial-up Preferences...'.
From the 'Autodial' tab, check the 'Disable autodial while I am logged
on' checkbox.

Dick Tennent <Xdick@tennent.org> wrote:
> Whenever I make a Wi-Fi connection that doesn't require a login, e.g., our
> local library, Windows XP Internet Explorer wants to connect using my dialup
> ISP connection. I have talked to the support people and everything they
> suggested with IE settings didn't work. Any ideas what could be wrong?

That would be the default.
What is your "normal" access method for the internet when you aren't
connected via the library wireless?

Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Connections
In the panel, you probably have your dialup provider listed.
Below that is a three button set: Never, whenever, always.
If you set that to whenever, it might work. It tends to still want to use
the dialup. If you set it to "never", it will not try to dial.
When you want to use a dialup, you could initiate that separately.

--
---