Qualcomm's Restraining Order for 'Smartbook'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
is it really that hard to find a list of all trademarked names? i would think these mega corporations would have a team to look into it before pouring money into marketing them...

otakuwind

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I imagine it becomes a problem to track down all of these IP's when you have so many countries with so many trademarks and how ambiguous these suits have been. If they get a great Idea for something and they find that some guy in france made something called a "netbook" that was to made to catch books in 77' that you were just going to have to be sued. I think a simple solution would be to just add some numbers to the end of any proposed marketing scheme. For example, instead of wasting all of this money on long gone companies wanting free money for using the term "netbook" just slap an arbitrary number at the end. "Netbook2122" BOOM! we just improved the bottom line.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]is it really that hard to find a list of all trademarked names? i would think these mega corporations would have a team to look into it before pouring money into marketing them...[/citation]
Or they either don't care or think that they can get away with it.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Trademarks should have a validity period if out of production. After that they should be recalled in history books :). And the trademark should be something companies pay for on usage basis, so that lists to be created will have rightful financing.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]is it really that hard to find a list of all trademarked names? i would think these mega corporations would have a team to look into it before pouring money into marketing them...[/citation]
They could at least google it first

smartbook.de
how do you manage to miss that one when planning on launching a product in germany? That aside, smartbook AG should have discussed the matter with Qualcomm outside of court first. I am sure some arrangement could have been reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS