Baffled between mac n pc

Hello,

don't shoot. i have a genuine concern. just bought an hp 380t with core i7 930 2.8ghz, 12gb ram, radeon 5570 and 7200 rpm hdd. i use it for photo editing (nikon capture nx2). got it last week and right away uninstalled all bloatware and optimized windows 7 for maximum performance. i did not want to get a desktop but got sick and tired of twiddling my thumbs while waiting for files to be rendered so i sacrificed portability and aesthetics (laptop) for function and performance. i was happy with the purchase (i've only had it for 5 days)until my sister came with her fresh out of the box macbook pro. it's a 2.66ghz core2duo, 4gb ram and 5400rpm hdd.

i installed cnx2 and did a speed test - 5 files rendered and saved onto system hdd and compared the results. the optimized desktop i7 finished in 4:27 while her fresh out of box mac core2duo finished in 2:02.
i tried un-optimizing the desktop and still get the same results. saving to an external usb hdd brings it down to 4:02 and saving to ex III sd and cf cards gets it done in 3:58. i ran a system diagnostics and everything checks out. what gives?
8 answers Last reply
More about baffled
  1. you might still have leftover bloatware lingering on your system, try a complete reinstall of win 7 for a clean slate
  2. thanks for replying. i've actually gone over the list with hp and uninstalled everything that could be uninstalled. unfotunately, doing recovery would only reinstall all bloatware as i don't have a clean win 7 disc. i've also gone into msconfig and disabled all non ms, re-enabled again, disabled startups re-enabled...doesn't help. is it possible to install win 7 without installing all bloatware? thanks again.
  3. yeyger said:
    thanks for replying. i've actually gone over the list with hp and uninstalled everything that could be uninstalled. unfotunately, doing recovery would only reinstall all bloatware as i don't have a clean win 7 disc. i've also gone into msconfig and disabled all non ms, re-enabled again, disabled startups re-enabled...doesn't help. is it possible to install win 7 without installing all bloatware? thanks again.

just format your harddrive and reinstall windows, you wont get all the bloatware back
  4. thanks to you both. just finished doing the extended hdd test with 0 errors. am now doing recovery. will post how that goes in a bit.

my sister got the 15" mbp with c2d at her school - it was a closeout, new old stock and she only paid $1200 for it. the newer 15" mbp's come with the i5 but comes with a hefty price tag. i wasn't expecting to get my ass kicked by a puny laptop.
  5. Quote:
    $1200 for a "new, old stock" C2D at 2.66ghz and a 5400rpm drive...........how sad.

I'd say she seriously got ripped off. She could have had a Dell with same or better specs for $499.

apple tax strikes again!
  6. At first sight I thought this post was so unbelievable that it must be a troll by a fanboi, but I guess that I was mistaken.

There is something seriously amiss with your PC - take it back to the shop and get your money back, or get a new one. Even a cheap laptop would wipe the floor with that Macbook Pro so your PC should be blowing it out of the water.
  7. no fanboi here. well...maybe nikon fanboi. and although i've always wanted to get an apple, i just couldn't get over the the cost. in fact i seriously considered getting a toshiba laptop with i7 720 for $899. in the end i opted for the desktop.

i am happy again after updating the nikon software. recovery reinstalled all bloatware but doesn't seem to affect performance. i can now finish the speed test in 1:01. i ran the test before/after i uninstalled bloatware and also before/after i optimized win 7 and consistently got 1:01/1:02. i'm keeping win 7 un-optimized since i get the same performance and i also prefer the looks. called up my sister to make sure we both had the most recent version of nx2. asking her also to bring the mbp this weekend coz i want to do more tests/comparisons.

thanks to all who replied.
  8. That sounds more like it. Something that you did during the original optimization must have been causing a problem.

Whatever the processor speed a computer will only be as fast as its slowest component, so a ratio of 2:1 over the Mac seems reasonable. Results would vary depending upon whether the task being compared was CPU intensive, disk intensive, graphics intensive, or memory bound.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Hard Drives Windows 7