Blue screen on Toshiba Laptop P20

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop Satellite P20 (PSP26C-0JQRT7), it's running
Windows XP Media Center. Even since my last windows update, it became
awfully slow and it started giving me blue screen errors at boot time
once in a while. I would say that about 1 in 2 times, it wouldn't boot.
Then I would try "last known good configuration" or just start normally
and after a few tries, it would work.

But since the last windows updates this morning (july 13th), I cannot
boot without getting a blue screen error. The best I can do is boot in
safe mode about once very two tries.

I was getting many different errors in the blue screen, sometimes it's
0x0000008E, sometimes it's 0x000000D1 or 0x00000024. Today, it seems to
alternate between those but it also added a new one, 0x0000007E,
complaining about ACPI.SYS. Some of the previous ones, not sure which,
complained about NTFS.SYS.

So a couple days ago, I suspected the drive might be at fault, so I ran
chkdsk, it didnt't give any errors. I ran a RAM check: memtest86
(http://www.memtest86.com/), didn't give any errors. I guess that leaves
maybe the display driver for the nvidia built-in graphic card. But I
don't know.

So now I'm doing backups while in safe mode, but I would like to avoir
having to re-install, but can I be sure it's an hardware problem and not
a software problem?

If you need more info on the blue screen errors, I'm pretty sure I can
get those for you.

I did some searches on google and on the toshiba websites, but I couldn't
find any help so I'm asking here.

Any help, tips or avices will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
5 answers Last reply
More about blue screen toshiba laptop

    I would begin by reading these Microsoft Help and Support articles.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316208&sd=RMVP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP

    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:ez38EoCiFHA.1044
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Subject: Re: Blue screen on Toshiba Laptop P20
    > From: "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >
    > I would begin by reading these Microsoft Help and Support articles.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316208&sd=RMVP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP

    Thanks for the quick answer, but the first one talks about a RAID device,
    which I don't have and the second one applies to Windows 2000. It suggests
    drive problems, but I did run chkdsk and everything seems fine.

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316208&sd=RMVP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP
    >>

    > Thanks for the quick answer, but the first one talks about a RAID device,
    > which I don't have and the second one applies to Windows 2000. It suggests
    > drive problems, but I did run chkdsk and everything seems fine.

    Sorry about that.

    How about scanning fo viruses?
    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903251#appliesto

    And/or running System File Checker.

    After inserting your Windows XP CD-ROM go to Start > Run and type
    sfc /scannow
    click OK

    > Sorry about that.
    >
    > How about scanning fo viruses?
    > See
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903251#appliest

    I'm using AntiVir, I've run a full system scan, no virus detected. I also
    ran the lastest version of ad-aware and Spybot search and destroy.

    > And/or running System File Checker.
    >
    > After inserting your Windows XP CD-ROM go to Start > Run and type
    > sfc /scannow
    > click OK

    Unfortunatly, I don't have a Windows XP CD, all I have is the toshiba
    recovery CD which will just re-initialize my system to the state it was in
    when I bought it, with windows already installed.

    Can I run this sfc command without the original CD?

    Thanks for your help...

    > Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows XP CD, all I have is the Toshiba
    > recovery CD which will just re-initialize my system to the state it was in
    > when I bought it, with windows already installed.
    >
    > Can I run this SFC command without the original CD?
    >
    > Thanks for your help...

    My guess is you cannot use the Toshiba Recovery CD. Since I do not have a
    recovery CD I do not know what would happed if you used it. You might give
    it a try just to see what happens.

    Alternatively you could try the instructions at
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Scroll down to "Step 2". There is a caveat that your folder "c:\i386" must
    be intact (nd not corrupted.)

    If all else fails, you may want to consider a 'recovery' with the
    aforementioned Toshiba Recovery CD.

Blue Screen Toshiba Windows XP