apterure agp memory setting for gf2... to 4meg ??

G

The system

Cell600e
64meg pc133ram
Asus cuvx-m motherboard (via chipset)
winfast leadtek geforce2mx
Dx ver 8.0

I have all the latest ver of via 4 in 1 drivers,nvidas det3 drivers

The prob: at first card would not run 3d... it would only run a few frames a sec then it would halt the whole computer

fix: i changed the apterure agp memory setting in my bios ti 4meg from 64meg

Now: my computer now runs 3d but at a very veryslow rate... as in i got under 1500 3dmark2000 points.

the suspect: a huge conflict with my motherboard. or Dx8

now i dont know what the hell the apterure(sorry bout the spelling) seting does in the bios... i guess by turning it down it slows the whole process down :( so if anyone reads this please explain what that does.. and give me a few helping hints

Very big regards
Ric Brennan

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
That is memory that the graphics card can used for storing textures and other things which is shared by the system. Most people recommend a setting 1/2 of your actual memory in your machine. So in your case your aperture setting should be at least 32megs. Your GF2's should be getting a score around 4000 in 3dMark2000. Sounds like your AGP is not configured correctly. In bios, set "AGP4x mode" to "disable". Make sure you are using the newest 428a 4in1 drivers, reload or load 428a 4in1 drivers. When loading the AGP driver which comes in the 4in1 driver set, try the Non-turbo setting. If that works then try the Turbo setting by reloading again. Did you update your video card from a previous one? Many times a new video card will not work due to left over files from a previous video card causing conflicts.

G

yea i did upgrade cards i used to have a voodo3... iguess there still could be some crap left behind it... i will have a look and try the bios thing....

thansk a great deal!

Ric

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Just a note, must people almost find it impossible to install a Radeon after a Voodoo card because the Voodoo uninstall really doesn't uninstall the drivers. So the solution is usually a format and then a reinstall of everything. Sorry.

G

THANKS!!! i desabld the to tubo setting and it works :)

im now getting 3800+ on the benchmrk! thanks a heap..>!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I am always happy to help a nVidia owner. Anyways the goal is to get in Turbo mode eventually. With the Via AGP driver in non-turbo will set your AGP trasfer rate to 1x (256mb/sec max). AGP 2x (512mb/sec max) will give about a 5-10% performance boost in which 3dMark2000 will probably go up around 200 points for you (not that big of a difference). Go into the bios when you get a chance, first enjoy your fine card. Set AGP 4x mode to disable. I believe you will have that setting, then go back and set the Via driver to Turbo. That will then give you AGP 2x transfer rate. 4x (1024mb/sec max) AGP for the most part doesn't give any noticeable performance increase nor improve any benchmarks that much due to other limitations. Make sure you are using the latest 4in1 drivers 428a. Good luck.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Looks like you managed to get performance in the right ball park.

Two things to think about.

1. Windows ME really will work much better with more than 64mb.
2. If you set AGP Aperture below 32 MB, ie. 16 Mb, your video card will operate as if it were PCI, slower than AGP 1X.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Ditto, and ram is at a all time low now. I picked up 256mb, pc133, CL2 ram from Crucial for $118!!!!Do buy some more ram even if it is only 64mbs. It will make a world of difference. Recommend pc133 even though your celeron doesn't need it but your next computer might be able to use it.

G

yea.. might have to get some ram.. as it is like you say real cheap at the moment :)

but thanks guys... thanks hepas i was really lost.. as trying to get this card going before... and well i tend to stress out then i buy h/w and it dont work.. :) so a big thankyou!!! dudes like you make life just that little bit less stressfull