Sign in with
Your question

Strange problem after fresh 98se install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 26, 2003 10:46:51 AM

My friends computer had some very serious problem with win98 that I couldn't fix so I deltree'd windows and reinstalled it(she didn't want to lose her mp3s). Whats odd is that when I try to open IE, windows tells me there isn't enough memory to do it. My friend has 256 meg of ram (windows confirms this so it can SEE the memory) and theres nothing loaded in memory that would cause this to happen. I've even removed things from the startup to clean it out even more.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks
a b } Memory
September 26, 2003 5:22:42 PM

Transfer the MP3s to another hardrive, if you can, for temporary storage, then completely reformat the problem hardrive, reinstall the OP/SYS and transfer the MP3s back to the drive, thats what you should have done to start with if you were going to reload the OP/SYS anyway.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
September 26, 2003 5:27:28 PM

Have you checked the size of the swap file?

Go to Control Panel->System->Performance->Virtual Memory and see what settings are used for the swap file size. If it is automatic, try switching to manual and creating a file 256-512MB in size.

Good Luck.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4
Related resources
September 26, 2003 7:24:46 PM

Unfortunatly there isn't a second drive to transfer the mp3s onto or I would have done that.

Swap is set to auto. I'll try the manual suggestion.

Thanks
September 28, 2003 5:15:52 PM

can you burn thoze mps onto cds? have a borner? have cds? can you take your hd off of your pc and "help him out"?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
September 28, 2003 7:14:14 PM

She doesn't have a burner, but I'm getting a portable drive next week if we don't have the problem fixed by then.

Changing the pagefile settings didn't help btw.

Heres some more things since my last post.

I went into the registry and cleaned out everything but the logitech software from the Run folder. I also checked autoexec.bat and the only thing thats loaded is the soundcard settings.

One thing thats odd is that I can open up a browser window if I hit windows update but it won't connect to the internet because its not set up. It seems I get the "out of memory" error when windows tries to launch the Connection Wizard software.

Very odd...
!