Best Card for my Budget

G

I'm building my own Athlon 1.2 ghz 266 for basicallly gaming only (programming as well, but thats not why im building a nice powerhouse comp)...anyway...My budget for graphic card is really 300-400...Would rahter not spend 450-500....

I play online games, right now beta testing one called Anarchy-Online, and I still play Asherons Call...

So what do you think would be best card to get....Also...how is ATI Radeon 64 meg DDR....I can get that for 200$....

Thanks for help

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
It is an awesome card, high quality with more mature drivers not only from ATI but also from Via as well if you get a Via chipset. How about buying a Radeon Le and when the price comes down a NV-20 or a Radeon 2 (supposenly in June).

G

Well I really want to get it a card to last me for good year or two....What is the best Radeon now...and to what card does it compare to Ge Froce wise...I can get an Asus ge force 2 GTS pure for 280$....is it worth the extra 100$ to go to that from Radeon...i can spend the $$.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well looks like the Radeon will have a little bit more staying power due to the more advance feature set. Enviromental bump mapping, 3d textures, 3 texture pipeling, hyperZ (less of a hit in performance when polygon complexity goes up in games plus as complexity goes up while you are playing, the Radeon plays a more consistent frame rate.), 10bit Dac, possible to hook up HDTV to RGB directly using 15-pin VGA-to-RCA cable (3 RCA cable component to 3 outputs(YPbPr). None of the current crop of non professional cards have any of that except maybe Matrox with EMBM. Not to mention 4 vertex skinning and key frame interpolation. Noted better 2d quality which come important at resolutions over 1024x768 when you program, to help prevent premature headaches. Noted by many to have the best rendering game color and 3d quality. If you are looking for pure speed, FPS thrills at frame rates faster than any monitor could ever display then you cannot ignore the Geforce II GTS pro's and Ultra's. The pro's are in your price range. The NV-20 may be in your price range and may be the one to get. I have a Radeon 64 Vivo Retail and I've have yet have a game run to slow. 32 bit game play is awesome on the Radeon. If you play alot of 16bit games than go with nVidia cards, 16 bit sucks on the Radeon.

G

Well two main games I play are Anarchy-Online and Shadowbane..both in beta...I run games at 32 bit....

So what would be better...
AIT Radeon DDR 64 - around 200$ retail
or ASUS GeForce 2 GTS Pure - around 300$ retail

BTW..my mb is ASUS A7M266....athlon-c 1.1 or 1.2 (not sure which getting yet..)

Playing on 20 inch Triniton Ultra Scan 990 tube

G

If you don't mind my asking, where are you finding a motherboard/chipset that supports 266?

G

What do you think about the: All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR
It is better then the RADEON 64 meg DDR I figure since its MSRP is more....

For 32 bit 33 gaming, and an occasial FPS..what would you suggest

ALL in Wonder...or ASUS GeForce2 GTS Pure

G

While pushing this message to the top, this will be my first comp I am building were I will have AGP at 4x...How do I make sure it is on 2x not 4x...any way to confirm this?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Go for the Radeon 64mb ddr...... You could of bought one right now but your reading this stop reading and start buying.

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

TRENDING THREADS