Can I remove "limewire" in Reg ?

I am a rookie but capable of at least backing up Registry and
deleting a key. I am running XP Pro on a Thinkpad.
I did an inelegant uninstall of Limewire and though all the files
are gone, there is a remnant(s) in Registry called "limewire".
A security program keeps detecting and complaining about Limewire,
so I need to completely get rid of it.
A search of the registry for "limewire" showed about 10 files:
limewire
lim*
*.lim
log.nsf
host*.*
winnt
socks.*
cache.ndk
ospw
*.mid
and one named "ab(default)" with "value not set" for Data.
Could I assume the "limewire" is the culprit and harmlessly just
remove it and see if that stops the detecting before trying anything
else ? Or which others of the list should I also remove ?
I would appreciate any advice as its driving me nuts that I can't
get rid of it. Thanks.
BTW is there any good Registry cleaner that would detect these files
and let me pick the one(s) to delete ? I ran Registry Mechanic but it
didn't seem to show any "limewire".
Bob

Why not check out ccleaner?

Registry cleaners aren't usually recommended as some can cause more damage
than they fix. I have tried ccleaner and found it easy to use. Of course,
caution is always recommended before deleting anything. It may assist you in
locating any entries in the registry which may be causing you problems. It
does more than just check the registry etc.

Just my opinion.

"bcarwell@us.ibm.com" wrote:

> I am a rookie but capable of at least backing up Registry and
> deleting a key. I am running XP Pro on a Thinkpad.
> I did an inelegant uninstall of Limewire and though all the files
> are gone, there is a remnant(s) in Registry called "limewire".
> A security program keeps detecting and complaining about Limewire,
> so I need to completely get rid of it.
> A search of the registry for "limewire" showed about 10 files:
> limewire
> lim*
> *.lim
> log.nsf
> host*.*
> winnt
> socks.*
> cache.ndk
> ospw
> *.mid
> and one named "ab(default)" with "value not set" for Data.
> Could I assume the "limewire" is the culprit and harmlessly just
> remove it and see if that stops the detecting before trying anything
> else ? Or which others of the list should I also remove ?
> I would appreciate any advice as its driving me nuts that I can't
> get rid of it. Thanks.
> BTW is there any good Registry cleaner that would detect these files
> and let me pick the one(s) to delete ? I ran Registry Mechanic but it
> didn't seem to show any "limewire".
> Bob

TRENDING THREADS