Not being able to set up workstation on Network

July 14, 2005 6:03:13 AM

Hi, I'm trying to connect a new workstation to a very small network (3
computers) The computers are linked via Ethernet and all of them are sharing
Windows XP.

The new workstation is also using Windows XP. When I setup the computer, I
made it a member of the group, by choosing that on the workstation and I
gave the computer a unique name.

I can connect to the Internet via this network, but when I try to see any of
the other computers, it doesn't even show them and I get an error message
stating that I'm not allowed on that workgroup, i.e. it is not accessable
and to see the network administrator (which I me.) I tried in the looking in
the mirror, but that didn't seem to help much! :-)

I feel like I'm missing something fundamentally. It is a peer to peer
network, i.e. no server and what could be the problem?

Would anyone please help me?

Thanks!

Kees
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:18:38 PM

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Kees Boer" <keesboer@integrity-computing.net> wrote in message news:D enBe.103586$gc6.100932@okepread04...
> Hi, I'm trying to connect a new workstation to a very small network (3 computers) The computers are linked via Ethernet and all of
> them are sharing Windows XP.
>
> The new workstation is also using Windows XP. When I setup the computer, I made it a member of the group, by choosing that on the
> workstation and I gave the computer a unique name.
>
> I can connect to the Internet via this network, but when I try to see any of the other computers, it doesn't even show them and I
> get an error message stating that I'm not allowed on that workgroup, i.e. it is not accessable and to see the network
> administrator (which I me.) I tried in the looking in the mirror, but that didn't seem to help much! :-)
>
> I feel like I'm missing something fundamentally. It is a peer to peer network, i.e. no server and what could be the problem?
>
> Would anyone please help me?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kees

July 14, 2005 10:26:27 PM

the first thing to try when this sort of thing happens is run the Network
Setup Wizzard. It will almost always fix file sharing issues by making
sure that all the required windows services and settings are intialized
correctly. Give it a try...