Compatibility problems

July 14, 2005 10:16:19 AM

I replaced my old computer (98SE) with a new computer(XP) last week
and have had ongoing problems, even with the help of an in-home tech
person ($295).

After reinstalling old programs and upgrading drivers, several times I
received Service Host report messages:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\Locals~1\Temp\WER1193.dir00\appcompat.txt.mdmp (and
svchost.exe.mdmp)
and yesterday and today, same address, except WER352f (or 4).

1. Since day 1, each time I start the computer, my HP Laserjet 4Plus
(got new drivers) has printed out a blank page with the letters "Phlj"
in the top lefthand corner.

2. Since yesterday morning, I have had NO sound at all.

Any help will be appreciated, or please direct me to the proper place
for support.

Thanks,

Marge O'Brien

More about : compatibility problems

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:57:31 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:16:19 -0400, mobrien11@comcast.net wrote:

> I replaced my old computer (98SE) with a new computer(XP) last week
> and have had ongoing problems, even with the help of an in-home tech
> person ($295).
>
> After reinstalling old programs and upgrading drivers, several times I
> received Service Host report messages:
> C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\Locals~1\Temp\WER1193.dir00\appcompat.txt.mdmp (and
> svchost.exe.mdmp)
> and yesterday and today, same address, except WER352f (or 4).
>
> 1. Since day 1, each time I start the computer, my HP Laserjet 4Plus
> (got new drivers) has printed out a blank page with the letters "Phlj"
> in the top lefthand corner.
>
> 2. Since yesterday morning, I have had NO sound at all.
>
> Any help will be appreciated, or please direct me to the proper place
> for support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marge O'Brien

The message you're seeing is just a notice that an error report has been
prepared and on your approval it will be sent in for analysis. The *.mdmp
files are the error details for this analysis. A memory dump that means
more to the folks used to looking at those things than to everyday users.

If you want to know more about the error, open Event Viewer. Look in the
System and Applications branches for events that occurred at the same time.
Errors are marked in red. Warnings marked with yellow. Informational items
are blue.

Concentrate on red and yellow items with a time/date stamp that coincide
with the time/date that the error occurred. Double click to bring up a
screen with more details - possibly a more complete error message that can
be used to search on google or at the MS Knowledge Base.

Not a lot of detail so far about the problems you numbered so just general
comments:

1) Printer: Does the same problem happen with your printer if you start it
after Windows loads? Some printer drivers toss out odd data in response to
the hardware check that happens during Windows startup. This can cause the
behavior you've described. It has been documented in the past for various
printer models. If fixable, it happens with a driver update from the
printer manufacturer. There is one setting you might check in the printer's
properties - look for cover page and/or separator page options and disable
them.

2) Speakers plugged in? Volume controls not muted? Basic checkpoints but
common causes for sound that is suddenly not working for no apparent
reason. Checked Device Manager for the presence of a working sound card?
Have you tried the sound troubleshooter in Windows Help and Support yet?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon said:
>1) Printer: Does the same problem happen with your printer if you start it
>after Windows loads? Some printer drivers toss out odd data in response to
>the hardware check that happens during Windows startup. This can cause the
>behavior you've described. It has been documented in the past for various
>printer models. If fixable, it happens with a driver update from the
>printer manufacturer. There is one setting you might check in the printer's
>properties - look for cover page and/or separator page options and disable
>them.

It does, in fact, only happen when I reboot or start up the computer
(hence Windows) with the printer already on. Thanks for the
explanation. I did install two new drivers, but I"m not sure they're
located in the right place. I'll check the printer's properties. I'm
turning the printer off every night, which I hadn't always been doing,
and I'm not having to reboot now that my applications are all
installed or upgraded.

>2) Speakers plugged in? Volume controls not muted? Basic checkpoints but
>common causes for sound that is suddenly not working for no apparent
>reason. Checked Device Manager for the presence of a working sound card?
>Have you tried the sound troubleshooter in Windows Help and Support yet?

I did check the first three. Then I phoned Gateway and the problem
was easily fixed. I was told to uninstall "Realtek" (I think that's
right). It immediately recreated itself and sound resumed. I don't
know why it had to be uninstalled; maybe things "just happen." : )

Thanks for the explanations and suggestions..

Marge

P.S. For superb classical music online, check out WCPE,

http://theclassicalstation.org/internet.shtml

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:57:31 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:16:19 -0400, mobrien11@comcast.net wrote:
>> I replaced my old computer (98SE) with a new computer(XP) last week
>> and have had ongoing problems, even with the help of an in-home tech
>> person ($295).
>> After reinstalling old programs and upgrading drivers, several times I
>> received Service Host report messages:
>> C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\Locals~1\Temp\WER1193.dir00\appcompat.txt.mdmp (and
>> svchost.exe.mdmp)
>> and yesterday and today, same address, except WER352f (or 4).
>> 1. Since day 1, each time I start the computer, my HP Laserjet 4Plus
>> (got new drivers) has printed out a blank page with the letters "Phlj"
>> in the top lefthand corner.
>> 2. Since yesterday morning, I have had NO sound at all.
>> Any help will be appreciated, or please direct me to the proper place
>> for support. Thanks, Marge O'Brien

>The message you're seeing is just a notice that an error report has been
>prepared and on your approval it will be sent in for analysis. The *.mdmp
>files are the error details for this analysis. A memory dump that means
>more to the folks used to looking at those things than to everyday users.
>
>If you want to know more about the error, open Event Viewer. Look in the
>System and Applications branches for events that occurred at the same time.
>Errors are marked in red. Warnings marked with yellow. Informational items
>are blue.
>
>Concentrate on red and yellow items with a time/date stamp that coincide
>with the time/date that the error occurred. Double click to bring up a
>screen with more details - possibly a more complete error message that can
>be used to search on google or at the MS Knowledge Base.
>
>Not a lot of detail so far about the problems you numbered so just general
>comments:
>
>1) Printer: Does the same problem happen with your printer if you start it
>after Windows loads? Some printer drivers toss out odd data in response to
>the hardware check that happens during Windows startup. This can cause the
>behavior you've described. It has been documented in the past for various
>printer models. If fixable, it happens with a driver update from the
>printer manufacturer. There is one setting you might check in the printer's
>properties - look for cover page and/or separator page options and disable
>them.
>
>2) Speakers plugged in? Volume controls not muted? Basic checkpoints but
>common causes for sound that is suddenly not working for no apparent
>reason. Checked Device Manager for the presence of a working sound card?
>Have you tried the sound troubleshooter in Windows Help and Support yet?
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:12:10 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:12:09 -0400, MOB wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>1) Printer: Does the same problem happen with your printer if you start it
>>after Windows loads? Some printer drivers toss out odd data in response to
>>the hardware check that happens during Windows startup. This can cause the
>>behavior you've described. It has been documented in the past for various
>>printer models. If fixable, it happens with a driver update from the
>>printer manufacturer. There is one setting you might check in the printer's
>>properties - look for cover page and/or separator page options and disable
>>them.
>>
>>2) Speakers plugged in? Volume controls not muted? Basic checkpoints but
>>common causes for sound that is suddenly not working for no apparent
>>reason. Checked Device Manager for the presence of a working sound card?
>>Have you tried the sound troubleshooter in Windows Help and Support yet?

Printer: If this is an inkjet, I've read that it's actually better for the
hardware if it is turned off when not using it.

Sound: While most hardware can manage okay on generic drivers, Installing
the drivers and utilities specifically for a device will give you the most
functionality and access to the features the hardware supports.

Am glad to hear that you have both these issues at least at "workable"
levels so that you can enjoy your computer and get some work done. Thanks
for the update.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User