Anyone have it? Satisfied?

Hubby seems to think the keys may be too close together and the screen too
bright.

I think he wants a bigger one ??

Thanks, Carol

--
C and A Bredt

Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> Anyone have it? Satisfied?
>
> Hubby seems to think the keys may be too close together and the
> screen too bright.
>
> I think he wants a bigger one ??
>
> Thanks, Carol

The screen brightness is not an issue since it can be turned down to
suit. These 12 inch widescreen notebooks have pretty good keyboards
from what I have seen - I have a Sony TR3a - and the Dell keyboard is
very similar if not identical. The keyboard is slightly smaller than
standard, but unless the hands are larger than a male large glove hand
there should be no problem with typing. The real benefit is the the
size and weight than makes it easy to move around and transport,
especially with wireless. The new bright screens are crisp and easy to
read with Cleartype enabled. With Dell you get 15 days trial during
which, no questions asked, you can return the unit in the original
packing for a complete refund although you have to pay for return
shipping and insurance. Note that small size no longer means
substandard performance. This will do whatever you need including
playing video, etc. It is not a gaming computer however.

I have a 700m and absolutely love it. The main reason I went with the 700m
WAS it's small, portable size. The keyboard is smaller than a standard
notebook keyboard and takes some getting used to, but once you do it is very
easy to live with. The screen brightness on this (and most any) notebook PC
is adjustable. I would recommend the 8 cell Lithium-Ion battery over the
standard 4 cell model if you decide on a 700m. Prior to this I owned a 600m
which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m which is more portable
and feels sturdier.

Tmax60

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have it? Satisfied?
>
> Hubby seems to think the keys may be too close together and the screen too
> bright.
>
> I think he wants a bigger one ??
>
> Thanks, Carol
>
> --
> C and A Bredt

Thanks for the replies. I think I have talked him into the 700.

Do you have any probelm with the reflections on the screen?
We saw one at the booth at the mall and there was a lot of reflection.
Maybe it is less if you change the angle of the screen ??

Carol
--

"Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 700m and absolutely love it. The main reason I went with the 700m
>WAS it's small, portable size. The keyboard is smaller than a standard
>notebook keyboard and takes some getting used to, but once you do it is
>very easy to live with. The screen brightness on this (and most any)
>notebook PC is adjustable. I would recommend the 8 cell Lithium-Ion
>battery over the standard 4 cell model if you decide on a 700m. Prior to
>this I owned a 600m which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m
>which is more portable and feels sturdier.
>
> Tmax60
>
> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone have it? Satisfied?
>>
>> Hubby seems to think the keys may be too close together and the screen
>> too bright.
>>
>> I think he wants a bigger one ??
>>
>> Thanks, Carol

ME

> Prior to this I owned a 600m
>which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m which is more portable
>and feels sturdier.

Facing same decision myself. Thanks for that info!

So what size is the 700m display?

ME

>Prior to this I owned a 600m
>which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m which is more portable
>and feels sturdier.

Just looked it up and the 700m has a 12.1 display

Do you feel you could have gone even smaller such as
the 10.1" display in the Sony T series? Or is that
too small for you?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >Prior to this I owned a 600m
>>which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m which is more portable
>>and feels sturdier.
>
> Just looked it up and the 700m has a 12.1 display
>
> Do you feel you could have gone even smaller such as
> the 10.1" display in the Sony T series? Or is that
> too small for you?

I'm jumping in late, but if you want an Ultralight, check out the IBM X40.
Not a widescreen, but the best ultralight around. I'm a Dell guy, but my
laptop is an X40 (on which I typed this).

Tom

ME

>I'm jumping in late, but if you want an Ultralight, check out the IBM X40.
>Not a widescreen, but the best ultralight around. I'm a Dell guy, but my
>laptop is an X40 (on which I typed this).

yeah that IBM X40 has a 10.1" screen as well. No?

If yes..... how you liking such a small screen so far?

No. The X40 has a 12.1 inch screen. It's great -- 1024x768 and very
bright.
> >I'm jumping in late, but if you want an Ultralight, check out the IBM
> >X40.
>>Not a widescreen, but the best ultralight around. I'm a Dell guy, but my
>>laptop is an X40 (on which I typed this).
>
> yeah that IBM X40 has a 10.1" screen as well. No?
>
> If yes..... how you liking such a small screen so far?

Carol & Allen,

The reflections, which can be an issue, can be eliminated by changing the
angle of the screen or the user's viewing angle (or both). Another issue is
the clear screen's attraction for dust! Dell supplies a sampler of a
special cleaning solution and cloth for use on the glossy screen. The
cleaner solution seems to apply an antistatic coating which helps control
the dust situation a great deal.

As mentioned later in this thread, the IBM and Sony models are really
outstanding (the Sony is really, really small and has amazing battery life)
and IBM notebooks are generally considered the cream of the crop but I think
you'll also see a very large difference in the price as well. The 700m is a
great little notebook for the money...I don't miss my 600m (except maybe the
SXGA+ display that mine had...not an option on the 700m) very much at all.

-Tmax

> Thanks for the replies. I think I have talked him into the 700.
>
> Do you have any probelm with the reflections on the screen?
> We saw one at the booth at the mall and there was a lot of reflection.
> Maybe it is less if you change the angle of the screen ??
>
> Carol
> --
>
> "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a 700m and absolutely love it. The main reason I went with the
>>700m WAS it's small, portable size. The keyboard is smaller than a
>>standard notebook keyboard and takes some getting used to, but once you do
>>it is very easy to live with. The screen brightness on this (and most
>>any) notebook PC is adjustable. I would recommend the 8 cell Lithium-Ion
>>battery over the standard 4 cell model if you decide on a 700m. Prior to
>>this I owned a 600m which was a nice laptop but I much prefer the 700m
>>which is more portable and feels sturdier.
>>
>> Tmax60
>>
>> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt22@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone have it? Satisfied?
>>>
>>> Hubby seems to think the keys may be too close together and the screen
>>> too bright.
>>>
>>> I think he wants a bigger one ??
>>>
>>> Thanks, Carol

ME

>Depends on your goal. The X40 is lighter, and I couldn't care less about a
>DVD drive. I record everything to the hard drive, or play it on my Epson
>P2000.

is the hard drive big enough to rip DVD movies to?

On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:51:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Depends on your goal. The X40 is lighter, and I couldn't care less about a
>DVD drive. I record everything to the hard drive, or play it on my Epson
>P2000.
>
>The area where IBM shines is durability. This thing is a tank.

understood about IBMs durability, but the 700m is really comparable in
that regard with the possible exception of the "park the hard drive if
falling" feature Thinkpads have. Don't throw the 700m across the room
and you'll be fine. The overall construction is much better than most
of the cheap feeling Dell Inspirons I've seen.

But I dont see how you can live without a DVD or CD drive built in.
Toting one around in the bag probably adds as much weight as the one
thats built into the 700m.

"Mr Personality" <mister@personality.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:51:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Depends on your goal. The X40 is lighter, and I couldn't care less about a
>>DVD drive. I record everything to the hard drive, or play it on my Epson
>>P2000.
>>
>>The area where IBM shines is durability. This thing is a tank.
>
> understood about IBMs durability, but the 700m is really comparable in
> that regard with the possible exception of the "park the hard drive if
> falling" feature Thinkpads have. Don't throw the 700m across the room
> and you'll be fine. The overall construction is much better than most
> of the cheap feeling Dell Inspirons I've seen.
>
> But I dont see how you can live without a DVD or CD drive built in.
> Toting one around in the bag probably adds as much weight as the one
> thats built into the 700m.

I have no doubt that it is a fine machine. I buy Thinkpad's for the solid
metal hinges :)

I have the 40GB, but I believe you can get a 60GB now. Not positive. It's
a 1.8" drive.

Tom

> "Mr Personality" <mister@personality.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:51:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Depends on your goal. The X40 is lighter, and I couldn't care less about
>>>DVD drive. I record everything to the hard drive, or play it on my Epson
>>>P2000.
>>>
>>>The area where IBM shines is durability. This thing is a tank.
>>
>> understood about IBMs durability, but the 700m is really comparable in
>> that regard with the possible exception of the "park the hard drive if
>> falling" feature Thinkpads have. Don't throw the 700m across the room
>> and you'll be fine. The overall construction is much better than most
>> of the cheap feeling Dell Inspirons I've seen.
>>
>> But I dont see how you can live without a DVD or CD drive built in.
>> Toting one around in the bag probably adds as much weight as the one
>> thats built into the 700m.
>
> I have no doubt that it is a fine machine. I buy Thinkpad's for the solid
> metal hinges :)

OK, I answered the wrong post, sorry. The question was whether it had a big
enough hard drive to rip DVDs. I just confirmed 40GB is the largest.