Browser Alternative To IE6?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I know this has been asked before, but with updates and new versions - I'd like to ask for opinions again on the better browser alternatives to M$ IE6? Pro's and Con's please.

Thanks folks.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>

DivisionX

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
another good alternative for MS IE6 would be Mozilla some people say it loads pages faster and you can customize it to your wishes

Er is geen zonde behalve domheid
<* --Oscar Wilde -- *>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
opera is pretty good too.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

pat

Expert
I'm using netscape 7.1 right now. I still keep IE for page that dont load/display with ns, but it is quite a few.

And it is free

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Hell, their all free now - I've heard that newer Netscape isn't as good as some of the older versions.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b>

G

Mozilla Firebird is my favorite. Takes a little getting used to, after useing IE for so long though.<A HREF="http://texturizer.net/firebird/download.html" target="_new">link</A>

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a little side question: Can you change IE to let it download more than 2 items from the same site? Right now, if I am downloading 2 files and then try to go to another section of that site, it just sits there till one DL is done. I woulda sworn I came across a note somewhere in Microsoft database that said you can not change this. So, assuming that is the case, which of these browsers allows unlimited downloads from the same address?

G

I can download two or more files from the same site with IE6, as well as firebird, without changing anything. I guess, what I'm saying, is that I don't know why you can't, or how to fix it. :wink:

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually I just found the option in that WinGuide program. It's called "Simultaneous HTTP sessions" and so now I can download all I want :)

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I love Opera, it works awesome and has many features IE6 can't even begin to touch.
Pro's - Has tabs on the top
Everything Downloaded is listed
Free
Has many skins and you customize your own
Low memory footprint (the latest one i used anyway)
Con's - Some problem with webpages being displayed
I cant tell if its my computer memory getting low or the virtual java machine getting bogged down, but when i have some java applets opened Opera slows to a snails pace (Is a Java program.)

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.