windows restarts for no apparent reason?

Bruce

It has happened several times, usually when it comes out of hibernation,
that after the windows screen at the user log on, when coming out of
hibernation it will restart on its own.
It was just out of hibernation this time when I was beginning to start msn
messenger and it restarted?

It has no viruses that I know of, nortons runs fine, and have had it
installed since I got the computer..

Any suggestions on causes?
thanks
bruce

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:15:55 -0400, Bruce wrote:

> It has happened several times, usually when it comes out of hibernation,
> that after the windows screen at the user log on, when coming out of
> hibernation it will restart on its own.
> It was just out of hibernation this time when I was beginning to start msn
> messenger and it restarted?
>
> It has no viruses that I know of, nortons runs fine, and have had it
> installed since I got the computer..
>
> Any suggestions on causes?
> thanks
> bruce

Eliminate the possibility of a corrupt hibernate file (hiberfil.sys). Open
Power Options in Control Panel. On the Hibernate page, uncheck the box next
to "enable hibernation." Click OK.

Check in Windows Explorer to confirm that the hiberfil.sys file is gone.
You'll need to set folder options to show hidden files/folders and not to
hide system files. Then using Explorer, look in the root of the drive that
boots the system for hiberfil.sys. If found, delete it.

Reset your view options to your liking. Re-enable hibernation. Test results
by allowing the system to go into hibernation and to resume from
hibernation.

If you still have trouble, it is likely that a driver or a program allowed
to run in the background is not compatible with the hibernate function. Try
disabling all unnecessary extras from startup using MSCONFIG (start> run>
msconfig). Test again. If successful, you can try adding back one item at a
time. Repeat test until returning from hibernate fails.

The last item added via msconfig is having difficulty initiating on a
resume from the hibernate state. Check for an update for that item. Also,
continue your tests until all your normal start items are re-instated as
you may find that you have more than one problem startup item.

If the hibernate problem is due to a driver problem, there's not much you
can do until updated drivers are released that resolve the problem. Report
the problem to the OEM so that they're aware of it and check periodically
at their download site for driver updates for your system.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User