Won't recognize blank dvd in my dvd burner.

I installed a DVD+RW drive. It works great as a CD burner and it will play
prerecorded DVDs But everytime I put in a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW , no matter
what software I'm using it gives an error message that "there is no media"
or Windows does not recognize the format of the disk. I have physically un
installed it and re-installed
it and the software without any change to the problem.

Before I pull out the drive, fix it my way and mail the pieces to the
manufacturer I'd like to find out if the problem is correctable. The
manufacturer is somewhat less than helpfull - The said they were going to
send me some new stuff that would work. I waited nearly a week, got the
package and all it contained was 5 disks of their own brand of DVD-R.

What DVD burnning software do you have installed?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Dom Donelli" <graybrd@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I installed a DVD+RW drive. It works great as a CD burner and it will play
>prerecorded DVDs But everytime I put in a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW , no matter
>what software I'm using it gives an error message that "there is no media"
>or Windows does not recognize the format of the disk. I have physically un
>installed it and re-installed
> it and the software without any change to the problem.
>
> Before I pull out the drive, fix it my way and mail the pieces to the
> manufacturer I'd like to find out if the problem is correctable. The
> manufacturer is somewhat less than helpfull - The said they were going to
> send me some new stuff that would work. I waited nearly a week, got the
> package and all it contained was 5 disks of their own brand of DVD-R.

Did you try updating the firmware of the DVD burner?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Dom Donelli" <graybrd@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I installed a DVD+RW drive. It works great as a CD burner and it will play
>prerecorded DVDs But everytime I put in a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW , no matter
>what software I'm using it gives an error message that "there is no media"
>or Windows does not recognize the format of the disk. I have physically un
>installed it and re-installed
> it and the software without any change to the problem.
>
> Before I pull out the drive, fix it my way and mail the pieces to the
> manufacturer I'd like to find out if the problem is correctable. The
> manufacturer is somewhat less than helpfull - The said they were going to
> send me some new stuff that would work. I waited nearly a week, got the
> package and all it contained was 5 disks of their own brand of DVD-R.

Did you try installing the most updated version of firmware for your DVD
Burner?

Also, make sure you DOWNLOAD the latest version of the DVD software and
install that (whatever came with your DVD burner is almost certainly
obsolete).

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

"Dom Donelli" <graybrd@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I installed a DVD+RW drive. It works great as a CD burner and it will play
>prerecorded DVDs But everytime I put in a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW , no matter
>what software I'm using it gives an error message that "there is no media"
>or Windows does not recognize the format of the disk. I have physically un
>installed it and re-installed
> it and the software without any change to the problem.
>
> Before I pull out the drive, fix it my way and mail the pieces to the
> manufacturer I'd like to find out if the problem is correctable. The
> manufacturer is somewhat less than helpfull - The said they were going to
> send me some new stuff that would work. I waited nearly a week, got the
> package and all it contained was 5 disks of their own brand of DVD-R.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:27:32 -0400, "Dom Donelli"
<graybrd@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Before I pull out the drive, fix it my way and mail the pieces to the
>manufacturer I'd like to find out if the problem is correctable.

LOL

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup