XBox game screenshots

G

From what I've heard there isn't yet any working Xbox hardware to render screenshots with, and some of those screenshots have been around the web for a while. I think they may have been made on a computer. A current PC can't look that good? If you had a game engin that really pushed the GeForce2 Ultra to it's limits then I think maybe you could. I don't know why Microsoft would post shots from something that wasn't really as good as the Xbox, though, so maybe I'm way off here. What do you guys think?

G

Those are really it. They were running a demo of the xbox when it first was revealed offically at that is what we saw. They said that the demo system they showed was about 1/3 the power it will be when it is all done.

G

Dude, what they showed was REAL time rendering from the NV20. They showed games that are in progress so it isn't just a hype fest. Personally, I hate consoles and won't buy a xbox but seeing the power of the NV20 is quite incredible.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
X-BOX sucks!!!!!!!!!! The nintendo GAMECUBE showed wipe the floor with the ps2 + xbox!!!!!! NINTENDO IS THE GOD OF CONSOLE GAMING !!!!!!!!!! FACE IT MARIO, ZEDLA, KIRBY !!!!!!!!! there all million sellers no matter what!!!!!!!!

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

G

OK I just went to the Xbox website and watched the official revealing of the Xbox again. The screenshots on the Xbox site are the same as the demos seen at the unveiling. A couple interesting notes taken straight from the presentation:

*the final hardware was NOT in the Xbox yet, specifically the GPU was not yet the NV20

*the demos were shown running "on the Xbox developement kit"

*the demo system represented 1/5 the power of the Xbox.

What does all this mean? That the graphics were being produced on a PC, most likely with a GeForce2 Ultra, and do not represent the potential of the Xbox graphics or the NV20. Yeah the graphics were nice--very nice--but were still current generation. I don't think it has really sunk in to most people how many polygons 125 million per second is. When you see Xbox graphics running for the first time at their full potential, I think it will be obvious.

Cheers,
Warden

Xbox presentation movie: http://webcast.mediaondemand.com/xbox/20010106/06_clip1_keynote_28100.asx

(sorry I never remember how to make the link active)

mpjesse

Splendid
Why wouldn't there be an XBox available? nVidia sent all the chips to their FAB to be mass produced like weeks ago. The NV20 is already floating around on hardware review sites and will be released in a week. I seriously doubt there isn't a single XBox in existence.

-MP Jesse

G

Griz, I just watched the Xbox unveiling video one more time just to make sure. Seamus Blackley, the Microsoft guy who presented the demos, clearly said that the demo system ran at 1/5 the power of the Xbox, not 1/3. He said this twice, once at 8:42 into the video and once at 17:21. If you have read somewhere else that it is 1/3, please give me a link as I would be curious to read about it.

Jesse, I agree that there is undoubtedly some NV20 hardware around now, but the unveiling was on January 7th. Besides, Bill Gates came right out and said that the NVIDIA processor wasn't in the demo unit yet. You'd have to ask him why. One thing though is that NV20 doesn't equal Xbox. NVIDIA is providing the sound and networking chip as well, and all of this is integrated together in a shared memory architecture that is different from any PC. In other words, though the NV20 is around, it isn't necessarily ready for the Xbox, or maybe the Xbox isn't ready for it.

The screen shots on the Xbox site exactly match the demos shown at the unveiling, so I stand by my opinion that they are NOT rendered at full Xbox quality.

Regards,
Warden

G

Now if they would just offer some games that had some freeking *substance* I might be interested.

It looks like someone finally might come out with a decent console (dedicated gaming device) and still it's 'arcade' stuff. It takes me exactly this >||< long to get bored with fighting/jumping/puzzle games.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Are you kidding me?! The holy grail is HALO! mmmmm... halo...

I intend to beat this dead horse named HALO until I get it on PC (to: bastards at MSFT who bought Bungie and redirected their work to xbox).

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
To rcf45- Saying the Gamecube "showed" (should) mop the floor with Xbox when neither is available (will we get a Tom's review?), and that Mario is a million seller no matter what (They may sell the most burgers, but MANY places make a MUCH BETTER burger than McDonalds) is just plain stupid. NINTENDO RULES?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Get a life. I think Nintendo is the best, but I am not religious about using only Nintendo.

To HotRodTodd- I completely agree that 'puter gaming blows away consoles, but let's look at the advantage of console gaming.
1. Provide quality games for you and your friends for probably less than $1000 (for 32" TV, console, and extra controllers) instead of buying 4 PC's (Probably $5000) so you all can duke it out when they come over. Plus, it takes up less space.
2. Last time I checked, Blockbuster didn't have any PC games to rent.
Consoles have their place.

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I just don't get this console vs PC argument that happens time and again on NG's. They're different pieces of equipment for different jobs. If you're moving furniture you use a van, if you're only moving yourself you a car. Different tools for different jobs. Just saying 'I want to play video games' makes them appear similar in the same way I could say I want to move from x to y in the car/van scenario.

If I want 4 mates round for a few beers and to play vid games I'm gonna use my PS2 because shifting PC's around and sorting out LANs is too much hassle for a quick night's blasting.

If we want to frag each other in a higher quality resolution and without being able to grab a sneaky peek at what everyone's doing we'll arrange to meet on a particular game server or take a trip to a LAN arena, for a couple of pounds it's much easier then shifting PC's and sorting out LANs.

I could understand more of the PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube arguments but as far I'm concerned PS2 is a) actually available and b) I can still use PS1 software. My old N64 stuff hasn't been unpacked since I moved just before christmas and is likely to stay unpacked - gamecube isn't backward compatable (when it arrives that is).

Hmmmm... Donuts