Infared Not Acknowledging connection with laptop

I have a USB Infrared connection between my desktop and my laptop. It has
'disappeared'
When I boot my laptop, the laptop shows that there is another computer
nearby, but my desktop will not display the icon showing that the laptop is
in range.
I looked at the settings in the control panel and it shows that the IR/USB
is there and 'working properly'.
I got into my Windows Explorer and clik on a file that I want to transfer
(Send To) but there is no icon for IR transfer.
I have uninstalled and re-installed the hardware, and the 'Device Manager'
shows it is there and 'working properly'
Still unable to transfer from my desktop to the laptop.
I opened the Wireless Link icon in my laptop and clicked on a file to send.
After about 2 minutes the 'Sending Files' window appeared and says it's
sending the file.

Thought this was a help and support newsgroup..