Asus K55N APU upgradeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesk182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I was wondering if anyone knew if the APU was upgradeable from a A8-4500 to a A10-4600.

I want to increase my gaming speed and cannot find anything on this.
I checked Asus website and it shows 3 processors for this model:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K55N/#specifications

AMD A70M Chipset:
AMD Radeon® Mobility™ HD7660G *1
AMD Radeon® Mobility™ HD7640G *2
AMD Radeon® Mobility™ HD7520G *3

I have found the A10 APU on ebay.
Installing one does not concern me as I have a lot of experience with laptop builds.

Has anyone ever tried to upgrade there APU with a K55N or had any troubles with the A70M chipsets?
I am upgrading the ram to 8gb to help but getting an A10 would help a lot form the benchmarks I have seen.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
sorry for not giving you good answers, but the socket on the laptop should support most a series apus, but i have the k55n ds 81 laptop, and i cannot find out how to get to the apu! i even toook off the keyboard and i could see the fan through a vent, but not a way to get to it and the apu. You said you have experience with laptops, please tell me how to access the processor so i can upgrade, and answer would be VERY appreciated.

colormehjewish

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

You must take the bottom apart, flip it over and take parts off there, then flip back and pull pieces out. It is like a 6/10 on the PITA scale IMO, but it is not terribly difficult. If you are taking the heat sink off make sure to have some decent thermal paste to reapply b/c my stock paste did not fair well after about an hour of open air. You could easily find a video of how to do this on YouTube or if you Google it though.

Here's a video I had marked for my own k55n, but sorry it is in Russian. Watching is more important than listening anyway. You can pick it up easy enough once you see it done. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ZgyrSjWxU

nevergetupss

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
i think so,You could easily find a video of how to do this on YouTube or if you Google it though. thanks
yvISPb

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Thanks, but basically i gave up and built my self a gaming pc. Still i might try to upgrade the apu as a little side project... I tore a ribbon cable when opening , so the geek squad (I know but my family gets free hardware installs and repairs why not) somehow has an excess of laptop ribbon cables so the put one back in, and when the guy handed me my laptop back he slipped an official asus servicing manual into the documentation of what was wrong with the laptop and winked at me ! I don't think you are supposed to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS