Network drive problems

Hello,

This wasn't getting noticed in windows.general so I'm going to try it here.
I'm having some trouble with a few Windows XP Pro workstations. We have a
network drive "X:\" that connects to a share on our Windows 2000 Server. In
"My Computer", the X drive shows as a disconnected drive and we can browse
the files their by double-clicking on the drive. Yet when we try to use and
application to open files on the X drive through FILE > OPEN, we can't see
the X drive.

If I run the commend "net use x: /delete" it tells me the device does not
exist. If I try "net use x: \\server\olddocs /y" it tells me the device is
already in use.

How can I clear the X drive so that it will work normally again? It worked
for months before this issue started happening... this appears to only be
happening with the Windows XP workstations and not our Windows 2000 Pro
machines.

Many thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about network drive problems

    I am experiencing the same problem : I boot up, log into Windows XP
    Pro, fire up Windows Explorer and it says my mapped drive is
    "disconnected". I can double-click on the drive and see everything
    there, but in Windows Explorer, it continues to say "Disconnected
    Network Drive".

    This started happening AFTER visiting Windows Update. And I suspect it
    is one of Microsoft lovely patches that is causing this. I have been
    s-l-o-w-l-y rolling out critical updates through Windows Update over
    the past couple of months. As I patch systems in this way, I notice
    this problem more and more. Systems that haven't been patched don't
    have this problem, but the systems that HAVE been patched are
    consistently showing this problem.

    I believe it is one of these that is causing the problem:
    KB901214
    KB890830
    KB903235
    KB898461
    KB893066
    KB883939
    KB896428
    KB896422
    KB890046
    KB896358

    Before these were installed (all on a single day earlier this month), I
    wasn't getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" message.

    Wondering if others out there are having a similar experience.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Hi Jeff,

    It is most likely an update as you suspected. I have two XP boxes that
    began having the same drive issue a couple of weeks ago. Oddly though, most
    of our XP boxes have been spared the problem.

    Does anyone out there know the location of the registry string that tells
    Windows of the mapped drive? Maybe if we can just delete the string the
    bugged drives will no longer be an issue.

    Thanks,

    Grant

    <derhodes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am experiencing the same problem : I boot up, log into Windows XP
    > Pro, fire up Windows Explorer and it says my mapped drive is
    > "disconnected". I can double-click on the drive and see everything
    > there, but in Windows Explorer, it continues to say "Disconnected
    > Network Drive".
    >
    > This started happening AFTER visiting Windows Update. And I suspect it
    > is one of Microsoft lovely patches that is causing this. I have been
    > s-l-o-w-l-y rolling out critical updates through Windows Update over
    > the past couple of months. As I patch systems in this way, I notice
    > this problem more and more. Systems that haven't been patched don't
    > have this problem, but the systems that HAVE been patched are
    > consistently showing this problem.
    >
    > I believe it is one of these that is causing the problem:
    > KB901214
    > KB890830
    > KB903235
    > KB898461
    > KB893066
    > KB883939
    > KB896428
    > KB896422
    > KB890046
    > KB896358
    >
    > Before these were installed (all on a single day earlier this month), I
    > wasn't getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" message.
    >
    > Wondering if others out there are having a similar experience.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jeff

    Did anybody find a solution or the actual cause to this? I recently
    installed the updates and now I can't view my localhost or open it from
    my Microsoft VB.net. They are there, but not viewable anymore.

    Regards,

    Kurt

Network Drive Windows XP