Network drive problems

July 14, 2005 6:13:26 PM

Hello,

This wasn't getting noticed in windows.general so I'm going to try it here.
I'm having some trouble with a few Windows XP Pro workstations. We have a
network drive "X:\" that connects to a share on our Windows 2000 Server. In
"My Computer", the X drive shows as a disconnected drive and we can browse
the files their by double-clicking on the drive. Yet when we try to use and
application to open files on the X drive through FILE > OPEN, we can't see
the X drive.

If I run the commend "net use x: /delete" it tells me the device does not
exist. If I try "net use x: \\server\olddocs /y" it tells me the device is
already in use.

How can I clear the X drive so that it will work normally again? It worked
for months before this issue started happening... this appears to only be
happening with the Windows XP workstations and not our Windows 2000 Pro
machines.

Many thanks!

More about : network drive problems

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:59:13 PM

I am experiencing the same problem : I boot up, log into Windows XP
Pro, fire up Windows Explorer and it says my mapped drive is
"disconnected". I can double-click on the drive and see everything
there, but in Windows Explorer, it continues to say "Disconnected
Network Drive".

This started happening AFTER visiting Windows Update. And I suspect it
is one of Microsoft lovely patches that is causing this. I have been
s-l-o-w-l-y rolling out critical updates through Windows Update over
the past couple of months. As I patch systems in this way, I notice
this problem more and more. Systems that haven't been patched don't
have this problem, but the systems that HAVE been patched are
consistently showing this problem.

I believe it is one of these that is causing the problem:
KB901214
KB890830
KB903235
KB898461
KB893066
KB883939
KB896428
KB896422
KB890046
KB896358

Before these were installed (all on a single day earlier this month), I
wasn't getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" message.

Wondering if others out there are having a similar experience.

Cheers,
Jeff
July 18, 2005 8:34:53 PM

Hi Jeff,

It is most likely an update as you suspected. I have two XP boxes that
began having the same drive issue a couple of weeks ago. Oddly though, most
of our XP boxes have been spared the problem.

Does anyone out there know the location of the registry string that tells
Windows of the mapped drive? Maybe if we can just delete the string the
bugged drives will no longer be an issue.

Thanks,

Grant

<derhodes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am experiencing the same problem : I boot up, log into Windows XP
> Pro, fire up Windows Explorer and it says my mapped drive is
> "disconnected". I can double-click on the drive and see everything
> there, but in Windows Explorer, it continues to say "Disconnected
> Network Drive".
>
> This started happening AFTER visiting Windows Update. And I suspect it
> is one of Microsoft lovely patches that is causing this. I have been
> s-l-o-w-l-y rolling out critical updates through Windows Update over
> the past couple of months. As I patch systems in this way, I notice
> this problem more and more. Systems that haven't been patched don't
> have this problem, but the systems that HAVE been patched are
> consistently showing this problem.
>
> I believe it is one of these that is causing the problem:
> KB901214
> KB890830
> KB903235
> KB898461
> KB893066
> KB883939
> KB896428
> KB896422
> KB890046
> KB896358
>
> Before these were installed (all on a single day earlier this month), I
> wasn't getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" message.
>
> Wondering if others out there are having a similar experience.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:09:52 AM

Did anybody find a solution or the actual cause to this? I recently
installed the updates and now I can't view my localhost or open it from
my Microsoft VB.net. They are there, but not viewable anymore.

Regards,

Kurt
!