Hey folks! In-laws come to me for everything technology related....sadly I'm not super savvy on laptops. I've been reading past posts, found several solid suggestions, but not sure they'll do exactly what they're looking for (though they very well could...). Took these questions from the stickied post... Thanks for taking a look!
1. What is your budget? They said less than $1,000, but I really think $500-700 range will be plenty of computer for them.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15"er
3. What screen resolution do you want? Don't think it'd matter much to them, as long as it looks nice....
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Doesn't have to replace desktop, won't travel much either though
5. How much battery life do you need? Enough to not be a PITA
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) They'll do some business management with Office, general surfing the net, and light photo editing. Eventually we hope to get them to using Lightroom 4.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I bet they could easily get by with 120GB...could always set them up with external HDD's if need be for pictures later down the road
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any trustworthy site is fine really, tigerdirect.com newegg.com amazon.com bestbuy...whatever
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? hopefully it'll manage for ~4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer would be plenty
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No true preference, I've had success/enjoyed ASUS, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Acer products in the past -- would like to stick to name brands though.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd love for them to have a back lit keyboard, figure maybe an i5 level processor (not against AMD), potentially a SSD if it doesn't really drive the price point way up, enough of a GPU to handle some light photo editing and was thinking maybe 6GB of ram or something that has 1 4GB stick with an expansion slot available....oh and I'm not sure they could handle windows 8...so if it comes with win7 that's a huge deal haha