Remove every last trace of Outlook Express!?

Hi, I don't want Outlook Express on my system. I never used it. I recently
switched from Outlook 2003 to Mozilla Thunderbird and it's way better but I
still have OE files on my system after removing it in my "windows components"
options. I guess the links are removed only. How cheesy is that? Why is
Microsoft shoving this down our throats? It makes me wanna switch to Apple!

You cannot remove Outlook Express only access to it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5A5C97C3-E949-467F-AB2B-F843441C89C3@microsoft.com,
Robby J <Robby J@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, I don't want Outlook Express on my system. I never used it. I recently
> switched from Outlook 2003 to Mozilla Thunderbird and it's way better but
> I still have OE files on my system after removing it in my "windows
> components" options. I guess the links are removed only. How cheesy is
> that? Why is Microsoft shoving this down our throats? It makes me wanna
> switch to Apple!

Outlook Express is a core system component of Windows XP.
It was not designed to be removed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in:

> You cannot remove Outlook Express only access to it.

Of course you can remove Outlook Express, I don't have it on my system.

The instructions are (or were) on the MSFT website but the OP should print
out this entire message in case he/she/it can't find it in the MSFT KB.

Here's how:

(WARNING, this is NOT an easy procedure and you will not be able to reinstall
if you delete the files instead of renaming them. However, since I don't use
OE I deleted instead of renaming.)

The procedure says Windows 2000 but it works XP as well.

SUMMARY
This article describes how to manually uninstall and then reinstall Microsoft
Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows
2000. Because you cannot automatically uninstall Outlook Express 5.x with the
Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, this article explains the best
technique for removing Outlook Express 5.x so that you can reinstall it.

NOTE: You can also use the steps in this article to repair the functionality
of Outlook Express if the program is damaged when you uninstall Microsoft
Office 2000.

NOTE: If you need to uninstall Outlook Express 6.0, use the "Add/Remove
Programs" tool in Control Panel first. If you are not successful with this
method, you should proceed with the remaining information in this article.

MORE INFORMATION
To manually uninstall Outlook Express 5.x or 6.0, you must rename several
files. To assist in this process, all system files and file extensions must
be visible:

Double-click the My Computer icon.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

In the Hide Files and Folders section, click Show hidden files and folders,
and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check
box.

Click to clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) check
box, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

Click Ok to close the Folder Options dialog box.

How to Uninstall Outlook Express
Before you uninstall Outlook Express, it is important to familiarize yourself
with the back up and restore procedures for Outlook data. Microsoft
recommends that you back up your e-mail, address book, and other data. For
detailed instructions and backup procedures, please see the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

Q181084 How to Back Up Your Inbox Assistant Rules in Outlook Express
Q188093 How to Back Up the Account List in Outlook Express
Q230208 How to Back Up E-mail Messages in Outlook Express 5
Q270670 OLEXP: How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data
To uninstall Outlook Express, you must rename several folders:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows
Explorer.

Locate and rename the following folders:

The Stationery folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery
The Identities folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Identities
-or-
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities
The Address Book folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Address Book
-or-
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Address
Book
After you locate these folders, click them one at a time, and then press F2.
Rename them to old_stationery, old_identities, and old_address respectively,
and then press ENTER.

You must now delete the registry key for Outlook Express:

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your
Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Click Start, and then click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.

Locate the following registry keys, right-click the registry key, and then
click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WAB
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB
Quit Registry Editor.

To complete the uninstall procedure, rename several Outlook Express files:
Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and Folders.

Find and rename the following files (these files are the same in Outlook
Express 6.0):

inetcomm.dll
msoeacct.dll
msoert2.dll
msoe.dll
msoeres.dll
msimn.exe
oeimport.dll
oemiglib.dll
oemig50.exe
setup50.exe
wab.exe
wabfind.dll
wabimp.dll
wabmig.exe
csapi3t1.dll
directdb.dll
wab32.dll
wab32res.dll
Each of these files are located in two folders, the default file folder, and
the C:\Winnt\System32\Dllcache folder. For example, the Inetcomm.dll file is
located in the C:\Winnt\System32 folder, by default, and in the
C:\Winnt\System32\Dllcache folder. You must rename the same file in both
folders to successfully uninstall Outlook Express. To rename these files:
Remove any CD-ROMs that may be in your CD-ROM drive.

Click the Inetcomm.dll file in the Dllcache folder, press F2, rename the file
to filename.old (for example, inetcomm.old), and then press ENTER.

Click the same file in the other folder, press F2, rename the file to
filename.old, and then press ENTER.

When you receive the prompt about Windows file protection, do not insert the
Windows 2000 CD-ROM. Instead, click Cancel.

At the prompt about keeping unrecognized file versions, click Yes.

Repeat this process with each file in the list.

How to Reinstall Outlook Express 5.x
Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and Folders.

In the Search for Files and Folders Named box, type msoe50.inf, and then
click Search.

The default location for this file is in the C:\Winnt\Inf folder.

Right click the Msoe50.inf file, and then click Install.

Insert your Windows 2000 CD-ROM when prompted, locate the I386 folder on the
CD-ROM, click Open, and then click OK.

The Outlook Express files are installed.

In the Search for Files and Folders Named box, type wab50.inf, and then click
Search.

The default location for this file is in the C:\Winnt\Inf folder.

Right-click the Wab50.inf file, and then click Install.

Locate the I386 folder on your Windows 2000 CD-ROM, click Open, and then
click OK.

This installs the Outlook Express address book.

Outlook Express is now reinstalled. Start Outlook Express to test its
functionality. To restore your e-mail messages, address book, and other
Outlook Express data, please refer to the backup articles that are listed
earlier in this section.
How to Reinstall Outlook Express 6.0
To reinstall Outlook Express 6.0, you need to log on to the following
Microsoft Web site and download Outlook Express 6.0. Follow the instructions
on the Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/ie