TiVo Beacon blocked by firewall even when disabled

July 14, 2005 7:02:02 PM

The TiVo Desktop and Sonic TiVo ToGo plugin listen for a DNS-SD beacon from a
locally networked TiVo in order to discover its IP address and services
available. Sometimes windows XP will not let this beacon through even when
the firewall is disabled in the protection center. I have found that
stopping the service will allow it through. Is there a configuration setting
that needs to be entered to get this to work right? If so, where is it, and
what should it be?

Thank you,
CuriousMark
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:06:54 PM

The XP firewall has only 2 settings........on and off
ZoneAlarm ,which is free by the way ,can be configured to allow access by
means of IP address'
peterk

the problem
"CuriousMark" <CuriousMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The TiVo Desktop and Sonic TiVo ToGo plugin listen for a DNS-SD beacon
> from a
> locally networked TiVo in order to discover its IP address and services
> available. Sometimes windows XP will not let this beacon through even
> when
> the firewall is disabled in the protection center. I have found that
> stopping the service will allow it through. Is there a configuration
> setting
> that needs to be entered to get this to work right? If so, where is it,
> and
> what should it be?
>
> Thank you,
> CuriousMark
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:11:59 AM

The impression that exceptions cannot be set in the XP firewall is not correct.

875357 - Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

(and pre-sp2)
Q308127 - How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308127

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!