TiVo Beacon blocked by firewall even when disabled

The TiVo Desktop and Sonic TiVo ToGo plugin listen for a DNS-SD beacon from a
locally networked TiVo in order to discover its IP address and services
available. Sometimes windows XP will not let this beacon through even when
the firewall is disabled in the protection center. I have found that
stopping the service will allow it through. Is there a configuration setting
that needs to be entered to get this to work right? If so, where is it, and
what should it be?

Thank you,
CuriousMark
2 answers Last reply
More about tivo beacon blocked firewall disabled

    The XP firewall has only 2 settings........on and off
    ZoneAlarm ,which is free by the way ,can be configured to allow access by
    means of IP address'
    peterk

    the problem
    "CuriousMark" <CuriousMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The TiVo Desktop and Sonic TiVo ToGo plugin listen for a DNS-SD beacon
    > from a
    > locally networked TiVo in order to discover its IP address and services
    > available. Sometimes windows XP will not let this beacon through even
    > when
    > the firewall is disabled in the protection center. I have found that
    > stopping the service will allow it through. Is there a configuration
    > setting
    > that needs to be entered to get this to work right? If so, where is it,
    > and
    > what should it be?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > CuriousMark

    The impression that exceptions cannot be set in the XP firewall is not correct.

    875357 - Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

    Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    (and pre-sp2)
    Q308127 - How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308127

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message news:enNmZENiFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > The XP firewall has only 2 settings........on and off
    > ZoneAlarm ,which is free by the way ,can be configured to allow access by means of IP address'
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem
    > "CuriousMark" <CuriousMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B3F4EA7-7917-4A25-AF14-81D3E118076A@microsoft.com...
    >> The TiVo Desktop and Sonic TiVo ToGo plugin listen for a DNS-SD beacon from a
    >> locally networked TiVo in order to discover its IP address and services
    >> available. Sometimes windows XP will not let this beacon through even when
    >> the firewall is disabled in the protection center. I have found that
    >> stopping the service will allow it through. Is there a configuration setting
    >> that needs to be entered to get this to work right? If so, where is it, and
    >> what should it be?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> CuriousMark

Tivo Firewalls Windows XP