Did you know fact not working

In Help and Support center, the Did you Know fact displays this:

"When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the Internet
now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
connection through an Internet service provider."

But I obviously am connected to the internet, because I can post this. So
how do I get it to say the did you know fact?

--

------->Zork

Try a repair setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Zork" <Zork@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ECC2410-DE33-4D59-ADFE-F0B03E910DA5@microsoft.com...
> In Help and Support center, the Did you Know fact displays this:
>
> "When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
> timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the Internet
> now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
> connection through an Internet service provider."
>
> But I obviously am connected to the internet, because I can post this. So
> how do I get it to say the did you know fact?
>
> --
>
> ------->Zork

frodo

Zork <Zork@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In Help and Support center, the Did you Know fact displays this:
> "When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
> connection through an Internet service provider."
snip snip
> But I obviously am connected to the internet, because I can post this. So
> how do I get it to say the did you know fact?

Q: If you do a search in H&S, do you ever get any knowledgebase hits? If
so then you're just fine, the problem is just w/ Did You Know. It is a
long standing, known issue. It will come and go. As of the June 2005 set
of Windows Updates it has gotten better (on my machine at least), tho I
know of no MS statement that these updates specifically addressed this
issue. It's a minor annoyance, and (trust me), I'll bet you already do
know... ;-)

FWIW, mine updated just fine on monday, and again yesterday, but today it
just won't update. something about days that end in "y" I think, or as my
old gaffer once said, "It's POM Dependent". [POM=phase of the moon].

Hi again frodo :)

Where are you from?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@xox.mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi again frodo :)
> Where are you from?

Why, the Shire, of course!
Along the river Potomac, near the confluence of the Great Bay,
in the land of soft-shelled crabs, rockfish, and ol'Bay.

Oh yes, we do have some very rascally Big-Folk nearby, whose
speach I can never quite understand (nor their thought patterns);
they seem to congregate under the large white dome near the river,
and pass edicts which only they seem to understand. We tend to
ignore them, lest we make ourselves crazy...