Dlink DI-624 and DWL-G650 signal issue

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

Hi,

I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
the firmware to 2.42 just recently.

What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?
6 answers Last reply
More about dlink g650 signal issue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    bulent wrote:
    > I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
    > Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
    > connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
    > sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
    > laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
    > signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
    > get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
    > the firmware to 2.42 just recently.
    >
    > What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?

    Don't know what could be causing the lousy signal strength, have you got a
    concrete wall between the router and laptop? Anyways, in my DI-614+ router,
    if you go to the Advanced-Performance tabs in its administration page,
    there's an "antenna transmit power" setting, see if raising or even lowering
    that doesn't help? Actually, I was recently reading an article on TechTV
    about if you have neighbours with WiFi equipment too, and if they're using
    their extra performance generating features, they'll pretty much bog down
    the rest of the neighbourhood and make everybody else's WiFi slower. Here's
    the link:

    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/products/story/0,24330,3671189,00.html

    Anyways, as for why you're not getting 108 Mbps, the answer is obviously
    because you don't have enough signal strength. You need at least 80% signal
    strength to get those additional speedups.

    Yousuf Khan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    Go into the router's configuration utility and click on the Advanced tab and
    the Performance button. Set the Super G Mode to Super G with "Static"
    Turbo. You should then see 108 Mbps speed.

    1-877-DLINK, 24-7

    "Yousuf Khan" <news.20.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > bulent wrote:
    > > I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
    > > Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
    > > connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
    > > sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
    > > laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
    > > signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
    > > get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
    > > the firmware to 2.42 just recently.
    > >
    > > What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?
    >
    > Don't know what could be causing the lousy signal strength, have you got a
    > concrete wall between the router and laptop? Anyways, in my DI-614+
    router,
    > if you go to the Advanced-Performance tabs in its administration page,
    > there's an "antenna transmit power" setting, see if raising or even
    lowering
    > that doesn't help? Actually, I was recently reading an article on TechTV
    > about if you have neighbours with WiFi equipment too, and if they're using
    > their extra performance generating features, they'll pretty much bog down
    > the rest of the neighbourhood and make everybody else's WiFi slower.
    Here's
    > the link:
    >
    > http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/products/story/0,24330,3671189,00.html
    >
    > Anyways, as for why you're not getting 108 Mbps, the answer is obviously
    > because you don't have enough signal strength. You need at least 80%
    signal
    > strength to get those additional speedups.
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    Are you still having this issue?

    bulentnews@yahoo.com (bulent) wrote in message news:<70f5edf8.0405051802.7855314e@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
    > Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
    > connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
    > sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
    > laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
    > signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
    > get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
    > the firmware to 2.42 just recently.
    >
    > What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    Yeah, I'd be interested in how this was resolved too since I am having the
    same problem with the same equipment.

    I have two desk units with the DWL-G520 pci cards communicating with that
    same access point and they have great signal strength. Not the DWL-G650
    laptop card, though. I can't get signal strength over 50% no matter how
    close I am to the access point.

    "Zack" <keayon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are you still having this issue?
    >

    > bulentnews@yahoo.com (bulent) wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
    > > Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
    > > connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
    > > sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
    > > laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
    > > signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
    > > get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
    > > the firmware to 2.42 just recently.
    > >
    > > What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:49:26 GMT, "Hank G." <hanknycNOSPAM@earthlink.net>
    wrote:
    >"Zack" <keayon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you still having this issue?
    >>

    >> bulentnews@yahoo.com (bulent) wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I just purchased a DI 624 Rev C and a DWL-G650 for my Toshiba
    >> > Satellite runnung on Win 98. My problem is I seem to be dropping the
    >> > connection and my biggest issue is the signal quality goes to 60%
    >> > sometimes, and the signal strength almost never goes past 70%. The
    >> > laptop and the router are 1-2 feet apart. How come I can't get 100%
    >> > signal? I disabled WEP encryption, nothing changed. I also cannot
    >> > get 108 mbps although all the settings for it are on. I even upgraded
    >> > the firmware to 2.42 just recently.
    >> >
    >> > What do you think? Should I dump this and get a Linksys instead?
    >

    >Yeah, I'd be interested in how this was resolved too since I am having the
    >same problem with the same equipment.
    >
    >I have two desk units with the DWL-G520 pci cards communicating with that
    >same access point and they have great signal strength. Not the DWL-G650
    >laptop card, though. I can't get signal strength over 50% no matter how
    >close I am to the access point.

    Maybe it's the vendor's software support applet that is wrong and the hardware
    really *is* achieving full received signal strength?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    Well, Microsoft's Wireless Connection status icon says signal strength is
    excellent even when Dlink says it's poor.

    "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:49:26 GMT, "Hank G." <hanknycNOSPAM@earthlink.net>
    > wrote:
    > >"Zack" <keayon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Are you still having this issue?
    > >>

    > >> bulentnews@yahoo.com (bulent) wrote in message

    > >Yeah, I'd be interested in how this was resolved too since I am having
    the
    > >same problem with the same equipment.
    > >
    > >I have two desk units with the DWL-G520 pci cards communicating with that
    > >same access point and they have great signal strength. Not the DWL-G650
    > >laptop card, though. I can't get signal strength over 50% no matter how
    > >close I am to the access point.
    >
    > Maybe it's the vendor's software support applet that is wrong and the
    hardware
    > really *is* achieving full received signal strength?

Wireless Networking