Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel SSDs Double in Price on Newegg

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
September 2, 2009 1:12:43 AM

Hmmm, interesting. That's all I can say because neither Toms, Intel or Me have a friggin clue as to what is going on. I guess it really doesn't matter anyway, I cant afford that crap in the first place. FIRST!
Score
Anonymous
September 2, 2009 1:17:13 AM

It happens to all etailers over time. They start small, gain a following with great prices and service, get big and greedy, and start screwing around with prices. A wonderful opportunity for some other company to start this cycle over again will be presented very soon.
Score
Related resources
September 2, 2009 1:26:41 AM

JessLIt happens to all etailers over time. They start small, gain a following with great prices and service, get big and greedy, and start screwing around with prices. A wonderful opportunity for some other company to start this cycle over again will be presented very soon.

I think you are speaking too soon. Let's wait and see what happens. Hope this isn't the new Newegg :( 
Score
September 2, 2009 1:31:43 AM

NewEgg seem to have a automatic pricing system that takes in to account inventory + orders for deciding price. For example, the E8400/E6600 fluctuated by ~$100-150 during release time.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:33:27 AM

JessLIt happens to all etailers over time. They start small, gain a following with great prices and service, get big and greedy, and start screwing around with prices. A wonderful opportunity for some other company to start this cycle over again will be presented very soon.

but not when tom's here to catch them in the act if there is an act?
Score
September 2, 2009 1:39:20 AM

they do have inventory flux pricing been a victim of it in the past. Now i learn to wait out the rush on parts
Score
September 2, 2009 1:40:00 AM

Use your brain. Newegg has a stock tracking software that will auto adjust price based on recent purchase and available stock.

Someone might have just bought eight drives at once and cause stock to drop to single digit. The program thought Intel SSD is in super demand and auto adjusted the price through the roof until a technician realized this and take the item offline.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:41:41 AM

sounds like a simple matter of supply and demand to me.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:52:10 AM

maybe Woot picked them up...IN FOR THREE!
Score
September 2, 2009 1:55:07 AM

Supply and Demand is a euphemism for sanctioned theft.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:57:14 AM

Bet they still sold some at that price.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:04:01 AM

They get them in and there gone in minutes, so they figure they can get more$$$. Guess I'll be buying mine elsewhere.

Ive had em on auto notify, and when I get email, I check and there gone. Supposed to be more tomorrow.
Score
Anonymous
September 2, 2009 2:13:37 AM

Sanctioned theft.. right. Because you own those SSDs at the price you think they should be, and any increase over that price is "theft". Stunningly logical.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:35:44 AM

As of right now I can't afford it so I dont care.
Score
Anonymous
September 2, 2009 2:52:14 AM

More power to the idiots that bought these drives at these ridiculous prices (unless, of course, they have enough money to literally burn)... 320GB SSDs which will smoke the current crop of Intel drives in terms of performance are only months away... which means, if you just wait a while longer, you'll either get much more for your money, or get these same drives for much less.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:53:50 AM

I noticed this a couple days ago as well... Newegg is great when it's great but it certainly pisses me off when they have drastic price changes on certain products. This isn't the first time, but this is the first time I've seen it done to this magnitude.
Score
September 2, 2009 3:08:48 AM

JofaMangSupply and Demand is a euphemism for sanctioned theft.

I thought the same as well.
Score
September 2, 2009 3:42:56 AM

Now thats a profit margin! But if they are going to be selling out in hours anyway why shouldnt they raise the price? If they stop selling like hot cakes im sure the prices will normalize down to what we expect.
Score
September 2, 2009 3:46:13 AM

I'm quite happy about this... (of course not about higher prices) but at the amount of demand that is going on. the demand is shooting up, intel ramps up production. floods markets... prices go down even further then msrp. then we get reasonable prices for ssd....

Score
September 2, 2009 3:47:40 AM

Newegg is the best in the business, but you still have to use your brain. If you're paying MSRP for anything on the internet then you're probably paying too much.
Score
September 2, 2009 4:03:21 AM

If you don't want to pay the price for the product, don't buy it. Supply and demand works. You have an alternative?
Score
September 2, 2009 4:29:07 AM

$599 up from $220......holy shit! Thats going from almost affordable to a mortgage payment.

And here I was hoping to get one for $175ish during the after Christmas sales.
Score
September 2, 2009 4:41:05 AM

The spike in demand is due to Anandtech's new article from Monday. Another article confirming that Intel SSDs are excellent and nobody else's SSDs are quite as good sends a lot of people clamoring for X25-Ms.

(or am I supposed to pretend that Anandtech doesn't exist while I'm at Tom's??)
Score
September 2, 2009 4:46:57 AM

Umnn.... is it jsut me or has Newegg been a little bit shy of insane in the past month? even they're labor day sale is pricing a 250GB HDD that WAS 50 bucks now suddenly at 64 dollars from 80? Wtf is up with that? Its an older model version too and it was worth less then the normal 50 buck ones I found.
Score
September 2, 2009 5:01:25 AM

Damn, my microeconomics textbooks have all been a lie. In truth, apparently, at some point, businesses change from being profit maximizing firms to instead being greedy, which is totally different. Thank you for this lesson on price theory. I'm dropping out of grad school!
Score
September 2, 2009 5:47:47 AM

boogalMore power to the idiots that bought these drives at these ridiculous prices (unless, of course, they have enough money to literally burn)... 320GB SSDs which will smoke the current crop of Intel drives in terms of performance are only months away... which means, if you just wait a while longer, you'll either get much more for your money, or get these same drives for much less.

As is the tendency of technology, no matter the situation, almost always something better is available in a few months. I bought a 1.6GHz solo core athlon like 5 years back, but why didn't I want 5 more years for a i5/i3 instead?
Score
September 2, 2009 8:34:14 AM

Anand "demonstrated" how you "absolutelly need SSD" in the last article. Like "if you start a very strange bunch of apps together and right after windows boots, SSD could save you whopping 24 seconds!". This article led to: "OMG OMG, I soo need this piece of... hardware" comments.

I guess there are a few thousand users trieing to buy this expensive (15x as much as usual HDD) piece of... hardware, and since market of those thingies is rather small, it led to shortages.
Score
September 2, 2009 10:28:46 AM

So what are the other good retailers in U.S. (competition to Newegg)?
Score
September 2, 2009 11:34:41 AM

Quote:
So what are the other good retailers in U.S. (competition to Newegg)?

I've used the following etailers for various things:
ZipZoomFly (formerly googlegear)
TigerDirect
FrozenCpu

Buy.com (Charged me for a Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT. Never shipped it according to their site. Said it was out of stock. Didn't refund my money. Advised me it was cheaper to eat the loss than to hire a lawyer to get my money back. Of course I was more concerned with the principle of it. Won't ever touch them again, but apparently my friends have had great luck with them.)
Score
September 2, 2009 11:40:11 AM

Newegg is out to make money. Holy crap, it's a business. In demand products cost more.

I'm still not buying an SSD until they're fast, reliable, and under $100.
Score
September 2, 2009 12:44:16 PM

kartuAnand "demonstrated" how you "absolutelly need SSD" in the last article. Like "if you start a very strange bunch of apps together and right after windows boots, SSD could save you whopping 24 seconds!". This article led to: "OMG OMG, I soo need this piece of... hardware" comments. I guess there are a few thousand users trieing to buy this expensive (15x as much as usual HDD) piece of... hardware, and since market of those thingies is rather small, it led to shortages.

Where do these anti-SSD people come from? Are they WD/Seagate shills? Are they just sore cause they bought a JMicron drive? Sore cause they can't afford one at all on their mommy's allowance?

I find myself waiting for my system to do something every day. Not waiting very long, but sometimes a couple of seconds. When this happens, the CPU isn't loaded, so the computer is definitely not thinking real hard about what I asked it to do. There's definitely no shortage of RAM into which to load what I asked for. The video card is definitely not working hard to render the results to the screen. The performance of a computer when doing work is almost always file-system limited. This is why SSDs truly do rock. They take the slowest part of your computer and make it many times faster.

Or perhaps you don't think there's a reason to make computers faster in general? How's that Pentium II treating you?

For my laptop, I can buy a 320GB hard disk for $80, or I can buy an 80GB X25-M for $225. So I can either have 250GB of unused space, or I can have 100x the file system performance for under 3x the cost - not 15x. Oh, I also get longer battery life and eliminate some noise in the deal.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:14:18 PM

i'm going to stick w\ cheap 3.5'' sata until prices come down : )

excuse my language... but those are 100% rape prices.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:35:15 PM

JPForumsI've used the following etailers for various things:
ZipZoomFly (formerly googlegear)
TigerDirect
FrozenCpu

Don't use ZipZoomFly, they are nearly bankrupt. Check out their terrible rating: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ZipZoomFly
Score
September 2, 2009 1:37:42 PM

swivelguyWhere do these anti-SSD people come from? Are they WD/Seagate shills? Are they just sore cause they bought a JMicron drive? Sore cause they can't afford one at all on their mommy's allowance?I find myself waiting for my system to do something every day. Not waiting very long, but sometimes a couple of seconds. When this happens, the CPU isn't loaded, so the computer is definitely not thinking real hard about what I asked it to do. There's definitely no shortage of RAM into which to load what I asked for. The video card is definitely not working hard to render the results to the screen. The performance of a computer when doing work is almost always file-system limited. This is why SSDs truly do rock. They take the slowest part of your computer and make it many times faster.Or perhaps you don't think there's a reason to make computers faster in general? How's that Pentium II treating you?For my laptop, I can buy a 320GB hard disk for $80, or I can buy an 80GB X25-M for $225. So I can either have 250GB of unused space, or I can have 100x the file system performance for under 3x the cost - not 15x. Oh, I also get longer battery life and eliminate some noise in the deal.

Why because in order to store my terabyte collection it would cost me 10000 dollars and 2 raid cards. And to be honest for the cost difference I can wait a few seconds. Now I am not saying that in time I wont switch. but not at these costs.
Score
September 2, 2009 1:55:33 PM

Bait & switch, anyone?
Score
September 2, 2009 2:03:59 PM

With AMD's experience in Flash memory and such, it's a wonder why they didn't jump on the SSD stuff? Or are they and we just don't hear about it?
Score
September 2, 2009 2:07:16 PM

JofaMangSupply and Demand is a euphemism for sanctioned theft.

I am positively SICK AND TIRED of the villification of capitalism. The desire to make a lot of money is NOT an evil thing. It is a motivating force that drives people to do incredible things. It leads to huge variety in products and constantly decreasing prices. It allows the vast majority of people in the industrialzed nations to live a lifestyle that royalty even 150 years ago couldn't begin to imagine.

Conversely, look at countries where everything is socialized "in order to make things fair and even for everyone." Places like Cuba, the former Soviet Union and other eastern bloc countries, etc. These people live in squalor by comparison. Services suck, they only have a tiny number of products to choose from (and those are usually of lackluster quality and limited in quantity), people are miserable and would do just about anything to be able to live in a capitalist country.

So the next time you see some company jack up their prices and you start thinking "greedy bastards", just smile and relax comfortable in the knowledge that you can instantly pull up prices from all of their competitors and pick the lowest one.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:28:09 PM

swivelguyThe spike in demand is due to Anandtech's new article from Monday. Another article confirming that Intel SSDs are excellent and nobody else's SSDs are quite as good sends a lot of people clamoring for X25-Ms.(or am I supposed to pretend that Anandtech doesn't exist while I'm at Tom's??)

Well said. Bravo!
Score
Anonymous
September 2, 2009 2:36:06 PM

@swivelguy i'm sure the anandtech article helps Intels sales but I was searching for one of the X25-M's last week (before that article came out) and the price jumped from $229 on Wed, to $249 on Thurs, and when I checked on Sunday it was $279. Newegg would get some stock in and sell out in minutes. The demand was already there.

As a buyer myself, I can say that, if anything, I was ready to forego the G2 for a G1 model after seeing Newegg's inflated price and then reading the Anandtech article. I do know that it wasn't until yesterday that newegg increased the G1 drive price by around 60% (from $229 to $359) so maybe his article, coupled with the outrageous pricing on the G2, drove up the demand for first gen.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:38:15 PM

Quote:
NewEgg seem to have a automatic pricing system that takes in to account inventory + orders for deciding price. For example, the E8400/E6600 fluctuated by ~$100-150 during release time.

This is absolutely correct. Prices vary dramatically from day to day. I've seen $1K price swings on items on Newegg. In other words, make a spreadsheet and track the price on Newegg. An informed buyer can save big bucks by purchasing at the right moment.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:48:01 PM

thackstonnsWhy because in order to store my terabyte collection it would cost me 10000 dollars and 2 raid cards. And to be honest for the cost difference I can wait a few seconds. Now I am not saying that in time I wont switch. but not at these costs.

You know you can combine regular HDDs and SSDs in the same system, right? Nobody's suggesting that you store your collection of pirated movies and games on SSDs. There's still no denying that storing data and applications which you access frequently and randomly on an SSD does amazing things for system performance.
Score
September 2, 2009 2:49:45 PM

Quote:
Supply and Demand is a euphemism for sanctioned theft.

This is the most uninformed and ignorant thing I've read in a long, long time. The alternative to a free market, price controls, doesn't work. It generally swallows up supply so that there's none left for paying citizens. Jellico is right.

As a small example, check this out. Your state-sanctioned rebates are essentially screwing the auto industry. What the auto industry and the government (statist leftists) thought was a good idea is now messing up the natural supply & demand of the sale of cars, and now sales have slowed because of the unnatural injection of capital into the industry, contrary to what the beltway government District of Criminals intended.

Word of the wise: when the government gets involved in economics, the opposite intention is generally the final result.

Frankly, I'm glad Newegg jacked the price on these. Why? Because people are still buying them, the higher ring allows Newegg to show more revenue (and probably profit margin with it), and it does Intel some good by allowing the demand to slow a bit so they can work on the inventory they have on hand.

You could use a few semesters of business school, JofaMang. Idiot.
Score
September 2, 2009 4:04:49 PM

I see Newegg has De-activated this item, most likely as a way to eliminate all the negative feedback. They are now just selling the older generation drive at an inflated price. This, (and a few other deals, like paying for a new MOBO and getting one that was obviously returned) has REALLY changed my opinion of Newegg. I guess the party's over...
Score
September 2, 2009 6:44:15 PM

Law of supply and demand. Increase in demand, increase the prices. Intel says they have overwhelming demand and they are almost always out of stock at newegg so why in the world would the prices be going DOWN? Just because you want them to be cheaper? Not how it works, get over it.
Score
September 2, 2009 7:57:24 PM

newegg.ca also raised the prices nearly a $100 on the x25 drives
Score
September 2, 2009 9:59:26 PM

nelson_nelUm, did you eat the loss or fight it? There's always Better Business Buereu which granted is powerless but at least it spreads bad rep faster than tom's... that really stinks though.

Actually, this is exactly why they invented the credit card chargeback.
Score
!