Lost delete privelege

Win XP Home SP2 all updates.
I am administrator (only user) of pc, suddenly today cannot delete or move
files and/or folders. All folders have become read only, and when the read
only property is cleared, nothing happens. How do i regain control? This
might have happened after installing 3 windows security updates today, but
System Restore to 2 days earlier did not solve problem. Windows downloaded
the 3 updates again, waiting for me to ok install :)

what happens when you try to delete fiels/folders?
what appears? could you explain more?