Windows XP Home won't boot

My XP home laptop will not boot - it shows a black screen with with
message asking you to select from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking,
Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Lat known Good configuration and Start
Windows Normally. If I select Lat Known.. or STart Windows Normally, it
displays the XP start up screen briefly and then shuts down and starts
again. For the Safe modes, it displays a lot of system files, and again
turns off and starts again. I think my disk is corrupted. I would like
to retrieve data from my disk. I have a XP recovery disk, but it will
wipe all data off the disk and return it to the state when I bought it
- so I don't want to use it. Is there any way I can boot the PC from CD
(it doesn't have floppy) and recover data from the disk?
Please help me

Thanks
Paramesh Kumar
14 answers Last reply
More about windows home boot

    you may need to use the repair console and run chkdsk / r
    read here
    Don Kendrick

    "Paramesh" wrote:

    > My XP home laptop will not boot - it shows a black screen with with
    > message asking you to select from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking,
    > Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Lat known Good configuration and Start
    > Windows Normally. If I select Lat Known.. or STart Windows Normally, it
    > displays the XP start up screen briefly and then shuts down and starts
    > again. For the Safe modes, it displays a lot of system files, and again
    > turns off and starts again. I think my disk is corrupted. I would like
    > to retrieve data from my disk. I have a XP recovery disk, but it will
    > wipe all data off the disk and return it to the state when I bought it
    > - so I don't want to use it. Is there any way I can boot the PC from CD
    > (it doesn't have floppy) and recover data from the disk?
    > Please help me
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paramesh Kumar

    I will try that. Thanks
    Paramesh Kumar

    Can you please tell me how to get Bart's PE CD? I have a desktop PC and
    I can download and burn the CD.
    Thanks
    Paramesh Kumar

    You can get it here..
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    "Paramesh" <rpk@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Can you please tell me how to get Bart's PE CD? I have a desktop PC and
    > I can download and burn the CD.
    > Thanks
    > Paramesh Kumar

    I don't have a XP installation CD. XP came installed with the laptop,
    and I got a repair installation CD which will format the disk and
    change it back to the state it was when I bought it - so I don't want
    to use it. How can I get a XP installation CD so that I can make a
    Bart's PE CD?

    Mine came preinstalled also. Read Bart's help file..I think you use the i386
    folder on the hard drive to make Bart's PE CD.

    >I don't have a XP installation CD. XP came installed with the laptop,
    > and I got a repair installation CD which will format the disk and
    > change it back to the state it was when I bought it - so I don't want
    > to use it. How can I get a XP installation CD so that I can make a
    > Bart's PE CD?

    I don't know whether that will help me. I can't access my hard Drive
    (C:) at all. If I boot with the recovery disk, making sure that I won't
    select the option which formats the disk, and if I type C:\ at the
    command prompt, I get Invalid drive specification. The recovery disk
    boots in Win 98 - will it be able to recognize a ntfs disk?
    I am thinking of taking my lap top tyo a computer repair shop, and ask
    them to take the disk out and somehow copy the full disk to an external
    drive (which I will have to buy); I can then run the recovery disk and
    let it format the disk.

    Is there any other solution?

    Thanks
    Paramesh Kumar

    Paramesh wrote:
    > My XP home laptop will not boot - it shows a black screen with with
    > message asking you to select from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking,
    > Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Lat known Good configuration and Start
    > Windows Normally. If I select Lat Known.. or STart Windows Normally, it
    > displays the XP start up screen briefly and then shuts down and starts
    > again. For the Safe modes, it displays a lot of system files, and again
    > turns off and starts again. I think my disk is corrupted. I would like
    > to retrieve data from my disk. I have a XP recovery disk, but it will
    > wipe all data off the disk and return it to the state when I bought it
    > - so I don't want to use it. Is there any way I can boot the PC from CD
    > (it doesn't have floppy) and recover data from the disk?
    > Please help me

    You might be able to get the data off if you somehow get a
    copy of Bart's PE CD. Someone will have to download and
    create it and burn it for you.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Use your desktop to make the CD and then use it on the laptop. I've used
    mine on several PC's that were having problems.

    >I don't know whether that will help me. I can't access my hard Drive
    > (C:) at all. If I boot with the recovery disk, making sure that I won't
    > select the option which formats the disk, and if I type C:\ at the
    > command prompt, I get Invalid drive specification. The recovery disk
    > boots in Win 98 - will it be able to recognize a ntfs disk?
    > I am thinking of taking my lap top tyo a computer repair shop, and ask
    > them to take the disk out and somehow copy the full disk to an external
    > drive (which I will have to buy); I can then run the recovery disk and
    > let it format the disk.
    >
    > Is there any other solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paramesh Kumar

    Thank you, I will try that

    Paramesh Kumar

    Thank you, your advise was very good. I made BART PE boot CD and was
    able to boot up. I also used a utility called "GetDataBackForNTFS" and
    it is scanning the disk now.
    Is there USB support for BART PE ? I want to connect an external disk
    to trhe usb port and get data out that way.

    Thanks
    Paramesh Kumar
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ricky and Cliff,
    Thank you very much for telling me about Bart PE CD and helping me with
    my doubts. I could recover most of my important documents.

    Paramesh Kumar
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You're welcome..I'm glad it helped. :-)

    > Ricky and Cliff,
    > Thank you very much for telling me about Bart PE CD and helping me with
    > my doubts. I could recover most of my important documents.
    >
    > Paramesh Kumar

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks to you also Parmesh for mentioning GetDataBackforNTFS shareware. I
    just used it and it solved my problem (corrupted root directory). Recovered
    my files as well.

    "Paramesh" wrote:

    > Thank you, your advise was very good. I made BART PE boot CD and was
    > able to boot up. I also used a utility called "GetDataBackForNTFS" and
    > it is scanning the disk now.
    > Is there USB support for BART PE ? I want to connect an external disk
    > to trhe usb port and get data out that way.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paramesh Kumar

Safe Mode Boot Windows XP