Hi all,

Until this week I've been happily running Win98 on this machine, but I've
finally bitten the bullet and moved to XP. Bought a new HDD, installed XP
clean and all went well. I have my old (98) HDD hooked up as slave so I can
easily transfer documents over.

BUT, stupidly, I forgot to export the Outlook Express mail rules from the
Win98 registry. Is there any way to open up the 98 registry from XP and
export the appropriate key without having to swap the drives around and boot
98? That in itself wouldn't be a problem, but I've added a new graphics card
etc that I KNOW causes 98 to blue screen :-(

If I have to boot 98 I will, but it would be sooo much simpler if there was
a way to get at the data from XP.

TIA

Rob.

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

Hi Rob,

I don't use OE myself, so not absolutely sure about this, but if you
search the slave for *.dbx you will find OE's data files, any of which
can be copied across to the XP system. One of them should incorporate
your rules, but it would be a good idea to rename the XP system's dbx
files as .dbx.old or whatever first, to simplify undoing.

Bernard

--
EarthlingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Hi Bernard,

thanks for that, but I've already copied my mailbase (*.dbx) and address
book - was just my filtering rules that I stupidly forgot to export from the
registry. They live somewhere under HKCU/identities. I suppose I could set
them up again by hand, but there are a LOT of them ... :-(

Rob.

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

Can you beg, borrow or steal a Partition Magic Disk? It has on it Boot
Magic, and I'm pretty sure you could activate either system from that.

--
EarthlingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Interesting - I think there's a PM7 disk around here somewhere!

Rob.