Corrupt windows/system32/config/system file .. how do I fi..

July 15, 2005 1:35:01 AM

Well, my file windows/system32/config/system is corrupt .. it says i can boot
with the CD and use the "R"epair function .. I do that and it takes me to
DOS where I can roam around my harddrive and the windows CD ..

now how do I find this file to replace it? because on the windwos CD there
is no "system" file in the directory I386/system32/config/ ..

I've tried to copy it from my other computer, but since it's using the file
I cant'!!! Someone please help, I'd rather not reformat the whole drive!

Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:43:03 AM

Try installing xp cd,boot to xp cd(you need to adjust for this in the
BIOS,boot
drive priority or similiar),once booted to cd,at menu screen select install
xp,
select,repair this copy.

"Mike" wrote:

> Well, my file windows/system32/config/system is corrupt .. it says i can boot
> with the CD and use the "R"epair function .. I do that and it takes me to
> DOS where I can roam around my harddrive and the windows CD ..
>
> now how do I find this file to replace it? because on the windwos CD there
> is no "system" file in the directory I386/system32/config/ ..
>
> I've tried to copy it from my other computer, but since it's using the file
> I cant'!!! Someone please help, I'd rather not reformat the whole drive!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:51:41 AM

Hi Mike,

have you tried chkdsk /r at the command prompt? Don't know if that would
help or not, but if.not maybe this will:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Rob.

!