Corrupt windows/system32/config/system file .. how do I fi..

Well, my file windows/system32/config/system is corrupt .. it says i can boot
with the CD and use the "R"epair function .. I do that and it takes me to
DOS where I can roam around my harddrive and the windows CD ..

now how do I find this file to replace it? because on the windwos CD there
is no "system" file in the directory I386/system32/config/ ..

I've tried to copy it from my other computer, but since it's using the file
I cant'!!! Someone please help, I'd rather not reformat the whole drive!

Thanks,
Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about corrupt windows system32 config system file

    Try installing xp cd,boot to xp cd(you need to adjust for this in the
    BIOS,boot
    drive priority or similiar),once booted to cd,at menu screen select install
    xp,
    select,repair this copy.

    "Mike" wrote:

    > Well, my file windows/system32/config/system is corrupt .. it says i can boot
    > with the CD and use the "R"epair function .. I do that and it takes me to
    > DOS where I can roam around my harddrive and the windows CD ..
    >
    > now how do I find this file to replace it? because on the windwos CD there
    > is no "system" file in the directory I386/system32/config/ ..
    >
    > I've tried to copy it from my other computer, but since it's using the file
    > I cant'!!! Someone please help, I'd rather not reformat the whole drive!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    have you tried chkdsk /r at the command prompt? Don't know if that would
    help or not, but if.not maybe this will:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Rob.

    > Well, my file windows/system32/config/system is corrupt .. it says i can
    boot
    > with the CD and use the "R"epair function .. I do that and it takes me to
    > DOS where I can roam around my harddrive and the windows CD ..
    >
    > now how do I find this file to replace it? because on the windwos CD
    there
    > is no "system" file in the directory I386/system32/config/ ..
    >
    > I've tried to copy it from my other computer, but since it's using the
    file
    > I cant'!!! Someone please help, I'd rather not reformat the whole drive!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

Configuration System32 CD-Rom Windows XP