Sign in with
Your question

Can you run multiple OS simultaneously on VirtualBox?

Last response: in Business Computing
September 11, 2012 3:58:06 PM

Can you run three Virtual Windows 7 simultaneously and be able to switch between on-the-fly? Just like switching between open programs in Windows.
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 4:17:48 PM

Yes. Dependent only upon the host having the resources to support them.
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 4:21:52 PM

darkstar845 said:
Can you run three Virtual Windows 7 simultaneously and be able to switch between on-the-fly? Just like switching between open programs in Windows.

Yup. Virtualbox isn't bad but it's not super-stable because many of its features are perpetually experimental. If you're setting up a professional environment I recommend VMWare Workstation instead
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 4:30:47 PM

Pinhedd said:
Yup. Virtualbox isn't bad but it's not super-stable because many of its features are perpetually experimental.....

Depends entirely on where you're hosting it. For instance my hosts are all Gentoo Linux and I've been running VirtualBox for years without a single issue.

Just a partial list of what guests I run:

DOS 6.22
Windows for Workgroups
Windows 95
Windows 98se
Windows Me
Windows NT Workstation
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Professional
Windows Vista Professional
Windows 7 Professional
Ubuntu (multiple versions)
Fedora (multiple versions)
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 4:48:51 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Depends entirely on where you're hosting it. For instance my hosts are all Gentoo Linux and I've been running VirtualBox for years without a single issue.

Just a partial list of what guests I run:

DOS 6.22
Windows for Workgroups
Windows 95
Windows 98se
Windows Me
Windows NT Workstation
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Professional
Windows Vista Professional
Windows 7 Professional
Ubuntu (multiple versions)
Fedora (multiple versions)

Yeah host/guest matching on VB isn't bad and as long as the host and guest are well isolated it's usually very stable (Intel and AMD have made this easy). However, host-guest integration on VMWare Workstation is lightyears ahead of host-guest integration on VirtualBox
September 11, 2012 4:57:40 PM

VMWare has better host-guest integration, but VB has a lot of settings that VMWare lacks and has its own advantages that balance its disadvantages (depending on what you do, of course) in host/guest integration as a result of that.
!