AP client mode vs. ethernet briges doubts

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 6, 2004 2:10:35 PM

Hello,

I have some doubts on AP client mode.

I want to use it for what I think is a common layout: I have a main
wired network at home with DSL GW, where I have connected an AP
(Conceptronic C54AP in my case). I access it from my notebook using
WPA.

Now I have an ethernet DivX player in the living room, and need some
gear to connect it to the main network. I thought an AP configured in
client mode could do the trick, as it would act as a bridge between
the wireless and ethernet interfaces, but seems this is not so simple.

First, it seems AP client mode is propietary and works only btween
same manufacturer APs. I don't find the logic in this, since I guess
this should work as PCMCIA card + somehow passing MACs from the wired
net behind.

I have bought new Conceptronic C45APT, which supposely supports it,
but am having problems to make them talk. Anyone could tell me how I
should configure them ? Furthermore, it seems not to support WPA while
in client mode.

There seems to be some gear oriented to this task, as the Linksys
Ethernet Bridge (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...)

Should I reach for one of this? What's the difference btw it and an AP
in client mode?

Thank you to any of you shedding light into this issue!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 7, 2004 12:12:40 AM

What you want is an access point that supports a Wireless Bridge. Access
points in the same Service Set communicate with each other for roaming or
bridging using a Distribution System (DS). The DS can use wired Ethernet or
it can be a Wireless DS. There is no standard yet for the DS (802.11f is
pending). This means that for bridging or roaming to work, you must use
equipment from the same vendor (and possibly additional restrictions). So
if your GW doesn't support Wireless Bridges, you might need to look for some
kind of client station; I've seen these for USB, but not for Ethernet; they
might exist.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Antonio Arias" <aascorreo-news@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have some doubts on AP client mode.
>
> I want to use it for what I think is a common layout: I have a main
> wired network at home with DSL GW, where I have connected an AP
> (Conceptronic C54AP in my case). I access it from my notebook using
> WPA.
>
> Now I have an ethernet DivX player in the living room, and need some
> gear to connect it to the main network. I thought an AP configured in
> client mode could do the trick, as it would act as a bridge between
> the wireless and ethernet interfaces, but seems this is not so simple.
>
> First, it seems AP client mode is propietary and works only btween
> same manufacturer APs. I don't find the logic in this, since I guess
> this should work as PCMCIA card + somehow passing MACs from the wired
> net behind.
>
> I have bought new Conceptronic C45APT, which supposely supports it,
> but am having problems to make them talk. Anyone could tell me how I
> should configure them ? Furthermore, it seems not to support WPA while
> in client mode.
>
> There seems to be some gear oriented to this task, as the Linksys
> Ethernet Bridge
(http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...)

> Should I reach for one of this? What's the difference btw it and an AP
> in client mode?
>
> Thank you to any of you shedding light into this issue!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 12, 2004 10:08:56 AM

Thank you, Ron !
I am looking for a ethernet bridge only device..

!