Can't use original windows xp prof disk to re-install / up..

I tried to re-install / update windows xp prof with the same disk i used to
install it originally and i get a surprising error message:
"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.
Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
recovered."
What can I do to reverse this error message?
thanks for your help.

If youre running SP2 on xp,the message is correct,to reinstall xp,boot to xp
cd,
then select at info screen,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create
one,then
xp reformats and installs auto.

"ReneGhana" wrote:

> I tried to re-install / update windows xp prof with the same disk i used to
> install it originally and i get a surprising error message:
> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
> newer than the version on the CD.
> Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
> currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
> recovered."
> What can I do to reverse this error message?
> thanks for your help.

wow, thanks for the fast reply.
if i follow your instructions, those it DELETE my existing widows first,
before installing? and what if something happenes during installation and it
can't be completed? then will it go back to the originally installed version?
what do you mean by "delete partition"? and will my donwloaded and installed
service pack 2 remain on the computer even after a new installation of
windows xp?
thanks again for your help
rene

"Andrew E." wrote:

> If youre running SP2 on xp,the message is correct,to reinstall xp,boot to xp
> cd,
> then select at info screen,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create
> one,then
> xp reformats and installs auto.
>
> "ReneGhana" wrote:
>
> > I tried to re-install / update windows xp prof with the same disk i used to
> > install it originally and i get a surprising error message:
> > "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
> > newer than the version on the CD.
> > Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
> > currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
> > recovered."
> > What can I do to reverse this error message?
> > thanks for your help.

Delete partition means what it says. Delete means it's gone.
SP2 can't remain on your computer if you are reinstalling Windows from
scratch with an install CD that doesn't contain SP2.
If it can't be installed, then it can't be installed. You enter a whole new
trouble shooting area..

You could always consider creating a slipstreamed copy of your XP install CD
to include SP2 on the disk for future installs. There is info about this on
the MS site, and there have been posts about slipstreaming in the past,
check the newsgroup archives for those posts, or try a web search for more
info.

"ReneGhana" <ReneGhana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> wow, thanks for the fast reply.
> if i follow your instructions, those it DELETE my existing widows first,
> before installing? and what if something happenes during installation and
> it
> can't be completed? then will it go back to the originally installed
> version?
> what do you mean by "delete partition"? and will my donwloaded and
> installed
> service pack 2 remain on the computer even after a new installation of
> windows xp?
> thanks again for your help
> rene
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
>> If youre running SP2 on xp,the message is correct,to reinstall xp,boot
>> to xp
>> cd,
>> then select at info screen,install xp,new copy,delete the
>> partition,create
>> one,then
>> xp reformats and installs auto.
>>
>> "ReneGhana" wrote:
>>
>> > I tried to re-install / update windows xp prof with the same disk i
>> > used to
>> > install it originally and i get a surprising error message:
>> > "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
>> > is
>> > newer than the version on the CD.
>> > Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
>> > currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
>> > recovered."
>> > What can I do to reverse this error message?
>> > thanks for your help.

ReneGhana <ReneGhana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried to re-install / update windows xp prof with the same disk i used to
>install it originally and i get a surprising error message:
>"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
>newer than the version on the CD.
>Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
>currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
>recovered."
>What can I do to reverse this error message?
>thanks for your help.

You need to create a new Windows XP installation CD with Service Pack
2 slipstreamed into it.

You can do this with Nlite from http://www.nliteos.com/ or there are a
number of web site that have instructions for doing it.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Good luck