Searching pdf files under XP

July 15, 2005 3:13:23 PM

Hi,

what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a
specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't search the
pdf files I guess.
Is there any solution?

Thanks
Steffen

More about : searching pdf files

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:37:24 PM

Search for text works if there is a file association for the filetype.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Steffen Loringer" <steffen.loringer@freenet.de> wrote in message news:3jpctgFqsdf7U1@news.dfncis.de...
> Hi,
>
> what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't
> search the pdf files I guess.
> Is there any solution?
>
> Thanks
> Steffen

July 15, 2005 9:51:25 PM

Steffen Loringer <steffen.loringer@freenet.de> wrote:
> what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a
> specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't search the
> pdf files I guess.
> Is there any solution?

if you do a reasonable amount of "search for text within a file" type
searching then you really should get the "Google Desktop Search" tool.
It's free, fast, and pretty small; once it's installed and has built its
database (couple of hours typically), you'll never notice it running in
the background again. And it indexes virtually every file type, including
PDFs. Worth a look-see...

Google for it (duh!).
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:37:34 PM

How to search for text within a PDF document using Windows XP?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/pdfsearch.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org