Searching pdf files under XP

Hi,

what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a
specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't search the
pdf files I guess.
Is there any solution?

Thanks
Steffen
3 answers Last reply
More about searching files

    Search for text works if there is a file association for the filetype.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Steffen Loringer" <steffen.loringer@freenet.de> wrote in message news:3jpctgFqsdf7U1@news.dfncis.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't
    > search the pdf files I guess.
    > Is there any solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steffen

    Steffen Loringer <steffen.loringer@freenet.de> wrote:
    > what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a
    > specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't search the
    > pdf files I guess.
    > Is there any solution?

    if you do a reasonable amount of "search for text within a file" type
    searching then you really should get the "Google Desktop Search" tool.
    It's free, fast, and pretty small; once it's installed and has built its
    database (couple of hours typically), you'll never notice it running in
    the background again. And it indexes virtually every file type, including
    PDFs. Worth a look-see...

    Google for it (duh!).

    How to search for text within a PDF document using Windows XP?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/pdfsearch.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Steffen Loringer" <steffen.loringer@freenet.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > what can I do if a like to search for some text in the files of a
    > specified folder/drive. The windows search function doesn't search the pdf
    > files I guess.
    > Is there any solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steffen