Stopping Access Point Hunting

Hello,
Having a problem with various wireless machines deciding to shift their
attention from the wireless router or access point quite near them, to APs
outside the building or office. This of course causes issues when doing
things like using network printers or shares.

These machines are laptops, so they do need to hook up to different access
points at other locations (where the same problems recur). It's a variety
of machines from Powerbooks to Sony Vaio pcg491.

I'm not sure exactly what this hunting is actually called, which is limiting
my Google searches. If anyone has any tips for words to use, or knows of a
way to effectively limit this hunting while still leaving it easy for the
user to connect at other sites, I'd be very glad to hear it.

Thanks,
Patrick Keenan

Your wireless devices are re-associating with other access points. The main
way to stop this is to configure the wireless clients to associate only with
a network that has a specified SSID. In WinXP this is done by establishing
a Preferred Network, and by setting the driver to associate only with
preferred networks (and also not with ad-hoc networks).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.