Windows 7 memory problem?

smashguy37

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I haven't been home much lately in the last week, but a few days ago 7 failed to boot up, citing some error I'd never seen before. I almost didn't get back into the OS, but it ran Setup Repair and I got back in. My wife later got a BSOD (doing nothing more than being on the internet) and yesterday and today it can freeze up a little bit or it will run chkdsk when you turn it on. It's run chkdsk a few times and it doesn't seem to find a problem. It also once gave a memory error popup (which I don't have written down unfortunately).

I ran 7's memory test feature and said the RAM was okay (I hate running memtest, but will if I have to) and my hard drive scans with WD's diagnostic tool comes back clean and I appear to have no malware or spyware or anything of that nature. I'm running a Q9550 quad, ASUS motherboard, Blackline RAM (can't think of the manufact. right now) 4 hard drives (Black WD drives), Geforce 9600GT video card, 500w Seasonic PSU, etc.

I installed 7 in January 2010 and most of the hard drives and the CPU are newer (installed last September). The RAM I purchased a few months ago. I really have no idea where to begin, with all these vague problems, any ideas?

smashguy37

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I tried the auto installer for booting from a USB key, but my computer won't boot from it. Maybe it doesn't support keys? Memtest is just a headache for me, I'll try dig up some old discs though.

smashguy37

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I left memtest 3.4 running overnight and it came back clean. Is that okay for my 64 bit OS though? I'm going to try to make a disc for the latest memtest.

Update: I've wasted two discs trying to make a bootable CD out of the ISO image in Nero. I've looked online and it seems easy to do, but I can't get it to work now.